Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

From UK to LA, Todays The Day To Post Away
mad_ad
Custom Title: MelanieC all the way

Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

Postby mad_ad » 02 Nov 2016, 19:25

Mel B, a.k.a. Scary Spice of the Spice Girls, will join the Broadway production of Chicago for an eight-week run December 28-February 19 at the Ambassador Theatre. Her role, according to production spokespeople, will be announced soon.

Aside from being known as the iconic Scary Spice, Mel B also serves as a judge on America's Got Talent, Lip Sync Battle UK, and The X Factor. She made her Broadway debut in 2004 as Mimi in Rent.

Featuring classic tunes by John Kander and Fred Ebb, Chicago tells the story of Roxie Hart, a nightclub dancer who murders her on-the-side lover after he threatens to walk out on her. Desperate to avoid conviction, she dupes the public, the media, and her rival cellmate, Velma Kelly, by hiring Chicago's slickest criminal lawyer to transform her crime into a barrage of sensational headlines. Recipient of six 1997 Tony Awards, the revival is directed by Walter Bobbie.

Source: http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/mel-b-scary-spice-broadway-chicago_79005.html
Sparrow

Re: Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

Postby Sparrow » 02 Nov 2016, 19:33

Ohhh thats cool, I like Chicago!
Hope she can still sing, its been a long time :)
mad_ad

Postby mad_ad » 02 Nov 2016, 19:40

I wonder who she'll be playing - my money is on Mama Morton
Mario

Postby Mario » 02 Nov 2016, 19:43

That's an exciting news! and even more exciting since I'll be in NewYork at that time!
Yipeeeeee Yipeeeeeee Yipeeeeeeee !!!!
do-it

Postby do-it » 02 Nov 2016, 20:23

This is great news. Finally she's performing and doing something creative, rather than TV presenting or judging.

Sparrow wrote:Hope she can still sing, its been a long time :)

I think her voice is a bit damaged from smoking, sadly.

mad_ad wrote:I wonder who she'll be playing - my money is on Mama Morton

Yes, probably. Isn't that the role that's fairly easy to sing, and has been performed by celebrities without much of a performing background?
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 02 Nov 2016, 21:23

Finally a music project! Now this should be interesting. Hopefully we'll get some studio recordings of whatever she sings and (less likely) hopefully she uses this project to focus on solo music again.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Fulvio84

Postby Fulvio84 » 02 Nov 2016, 21:53

I dont really care about musicals but is so nice to see here baack on some music project
WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME IS MAKING ME STRONG!
upload immagini gratis
http://fulvio84.deviantart.com/
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 02 Nov 2016, 21:57

I agree that this is more exciting than her constant judging Jobs... still, I'd love new music but good for her :D
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 02 Nov 2016, 23:28

Is that 28th February 2019??? It seems like a hell of a long time in advance to announce that???
mad_ad

Postby mad_ad » 02 Nov 2016, 23:57

spicefreak wrote:Is that 28th February 2019??? It seems like a hell of a long time in advance to announce that???

28th December till 19th February
Liam
Custom Title: The Sexual One

Postby Liam » 03 Nov 2016, 00:35

Can't wait for this!
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 03 Nov 2016, 01:35

wot about gem tho xx
kamel

Postby kamel » 03 Nov 2016, 03:35

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:wot about gem tho xx

GEM thing will happen in summer if they will do something of course.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 03 Nov 2016, 08:59

This is exciting! Hopefully I can make it to one of the shows.
Melissa

Postby Melissa » 03 Nov 2016, 11:03

I can't wait!!!! I will definitely catch a show or two.
I believe in whatever gets you through the night. Night is the hardest time to be alive. For me, anyway. It lasts so long and 4 a.m. knows all my secrets. 4 a.m. is when my dreams die.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Mario

Postby Mario » 04 Nov 2016, 00:25

After billboard.com she will play Roxie Hart
dentistologo

Postby dentistologo » 04 Nov 2016, 15:52

Great news for Mel! :D
Thank you, my ladies! Keep spicing it up! :D
Imageimagenes gratis
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 05 Nov 2016, 15:24

There are several sources now claiming she's playing Roxy...though I'm not sure any of them are truly in the know. My guess is they're just assuming she's playing Roxy because it's Chicago.

We should all really, really, really hope she's not playing Roxy. Her voice is 100% wrong for it. She'd *look* great as Velma...and she has the right physicality to nail the choreography. But. There again...her range isn't right for it. Her voice would be somewhat better suited for Mama Morton...but that role's for a belter...and I'm not sure I can imagine her pulling off the end of When You're Good to Mama.

Honestly, the best choice would be for her to play one of the Six Merry Murderesses. She'd get to look hot...and it'd play to her strengths as a performer and dancer without revealing the limits in her vocal range. Hopefully she'll get to be the one screwing the milk man. "He ran into my knife ten times..."

We really don't need a repeat of Rent. She looked great...but her voice was so unsuited for Mimi, I assume the production had to have hired her sight unseen as stunt casting. She struggled through it, and reviews were scathing. She's a talent show judge now...and I'm not sure the world will be especially kind if she gets cast in some role that's out of her range. It's not to say there aren't roles on Broadway that'd fit her voice. But Roxy ain't it.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 05 Nov 2016, 19:05

Queen Latifah pulled off Mama Morton well in the film and her voice is no better than Mel's so reckon Mel could pull that role off well. What role did Kelly Osbourbe play in the West End as she hasn't exactly got a great voice??
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 05 Nov 2016, 19:32

This will be good for her, but after her last live For Once In My Life performance.....I really hope she works on her voice. Because it was crap last I heard it.
mad_ad

Postby mad_ad » 07 Nov 2016, 12:41

spicefreak wrote:Queen Latifah pulled off Mama Morton well in the film and her voice is no better than Mel's so reckon Mel could pull that role off well. What role did Kelly Osbourbe play in the West End as she hasn't exactly got a great voice??

Kelly was Mama Morton too.
...FunkyFresh...
Custom Title: MB World

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 07 Nov 2016, 19:30

SpiceWonderland wrote:This will be good for her, but after her last live For Once In My Life performance.....I really hope she works on her voice. Because it was crap last I heard it.

this is true but that was also her first and only live performance since her stint in Peepshow. So that was a good 4 years of no live singing she was bound to sound like crap its her own fault. Good news is during the ROTSG and Peepshow (i went to both) she sounded great. So doing consecutive live shows will help re-strengthen those vocal chords.

of course the con is its Broadway and she prob wont be cast to her vocal abilities. Her best days were 98 World Tour and Christmas in Spice World. :love:
halloweenhead
Custom Title: SPICE FORCE FIVE

Postby halloweenhead » 08 Nov 2016, 10:16

Javi wrote:Finally a music project! Now this should be interesting. Hopefully we'll get some studio recordings of whatever she sings and (less likely) hopefully she uses this project to focus on solo music again.

I'm happy she's doing a musical project, too, but no way will there be any studio recordings from this. Everyone and their aunt has been in Chicago on Broadway. It's the second longest running show in New York.
1-2-3-4-5, SPICE-GIRLS!
FarAway

Postby FarAway » 08 Nov 2016, 19:10

That's a good project. I just hope that she gets enthusiastic about music again and do another For Once In My Life (where she just felt like it, went and recorded, released and made a video in like, two weeks). I don't think she'll ever be back to music 100%, she will probably do AGT again next year and some more tv shows, but to release one song each year would not be that bad
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 08 Nov 2016, 19:49

halloweenhead wrote:
Javi wrote:Finally a music project! Now this should be interesting. Hopefully we'll get some studio recordings of whatever she sings and (less likely) hopefully she uses this project to focus on solo music again.

I'm happy she's doing a musical project, too, but no way will there be any studio recordings from this. Everyone and their aunt has been in Chicago on Broadway. It's the second longest running show in New York.

I didn't mean an officially released cast album, but some studio leak or something that she might record for rehearsing purposes. Just like the Viva Forever musical was also recorded but never released.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.

Return to “Melanie B”