Forthcoming re-issues via Vibe On Records?

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
Trace Adam

Re: Forthcoming re-issues via Vibe On Records?

Postby Trace Adam » 23 May 2016, 19:14

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:not all songs are written to be a "bop" ( Image at that cliched phrase), many are reworked into club mixes to find a different audience. For example Sarah McLachlan,s tracks usually work just as well as folky ballads and immense as house tracks. So to suggest remixes are unneeded is nothing more incredibly narrowminded pishtalk Image x

Exactly! Commissioning remixes = making a different sounding version of the same track for a new audience, exposing different kinds of fans to the music, and boosting sales/chart data. It's another person's take and input on the same song. There are plenty of instances where I love a remix but am not really a fan of the original. Perhaps some updated, contemporary, remixes could draw in new fans for Geri's back catalogue.

Remixes are also commissioned to give DJs more variety to choose from. Just consider the vast number of remixes For Once in my Life had; surely without those it wouldn't have done nearly as well on the dance charts.

Postby tiagohm » 25 May 2016, 15:03

Emma Station |
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 25 May 2016, 15:43

Hopefully "rare and previously unreleased bonus tracks" doesn't just mean unheard remixes.

I will definitely get this Kylie release btw I love her 1994 self titled album.
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 25 May 2016, 17:14

I literally had a dream Vibe On released 100% Pure Love plus Set Me Off in studio quality with mixes. Ah if only in a perfect world.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 25 May 2016, 17:20

I wouldn't get my hopes high. Didn't Geri record 'These Boots...' and 'Perhaps...' for he BIU single cause she didn't have any other song left? I don't think there's much stuff from that era that wasn't released. If anything, I think they would include the b-sides and some remixes.

The SIYWGF and Passion eras are a different matter, though. There must be plenty of stuff from both eras. But surely they will probably only re-issue 'Schizophonic'? I don't see why they would want to invest on releasing the other two albums that didn't sell that much back then, specially 'Passion'.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 25 May 2016, 18:45

I'm not sure if that's a particular concern for Vibe On, given they went ahead with La Toya Jackson re-issues. Image
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 26 May 2016, 01:10

Jay wrote:I'm not sure if that's a particular concern for Vibe On, given they went ahead with La Toya Jackson re-issues. Image

that just shows they are more interested in releasing a quality product, not just tripe pandering to the masses x
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 26 May 2016, 10:44

tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 26 May 2016, 18:10

Trace Adam wrote:
Sideout wrote:Is there even any unreleased songs from schizophonic?

I might be recalling this wrong but I remember in her second(?) book she wrote about slowly venturing into recording and thinking the first song she recorded was decent but not revolutionary. I doubt that made the record or else she would've specified what song it was.

Maybe is that "heaven knows" song?
Emma Station |
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 26 May 2016, 21:01

The album and the b-sides were the only songs that were finished.
Sergiospice
Custom Title: El chico latino

Postby Sergiospice » 27 May 2016, 19:13

^^ She never finished recording that song as it was really difficult for her to sing
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 28 May 2016, 11:20

I guarantee they got the rights to some of her Disco Sister songs and of its a re-release of Passion. I know that doesn't make much sense now but that's the only era she could have left over tracks from. Plus, there is a LowKey underground following and curiousty in Geri's scrapped "Disco Sister" idea/plan. There has to be another track or two we haven't heard from that era in late '03/early '04 when she started recording the album. If they re-released the first two, they wouldn't have any extra material aside from remixes they make. I'm really going with a Passion or 100% Pure Love/Set Me Off release with additional remixes seeing as these are the type of songs this label loves.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 28 May 2016, 11:26

GZ10 wrote:seeing as these are the type of songs this label loves.

which label? Vibe On?
Drowned
Custom Title: Stupid cupid

Postby Drowned » 28 May 2016, 14:05

Sergiospice wrote:^^ She never finished recording that song as it was really difficult for her to sing

She said in Just for the record how she eventually finished it and started working on her own stuff. I don't think we will ever got to hear the full song because it was written by a friend of George, without any input from Geri.
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 28 May 2016, 15:51

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:
GZ10 wrote:seeing as these are the type of songs this label loves.

which label? Vibe On?

Yes. Vibe On is all about taking hidden tracks, previously unreleased content, buying rights to songs only fanbases care for, and bringing them back to life. Look at wha they did with the LeToya Jackson track they bought the rights for that hadn't been heard for 25 years. They took the track, re-mastered it, and had it remixed. This is why I feel the planned re-release has to do with Passion/Disco Sister sessions (100% Pure Love, Set Me Off), or a double release of Schizophonic/SIYWGF which I think is the less likely chance of the two.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 28 May 2016, 15:58

your reasoning is a little circular; if people don,t care for the music an artist produces, no-one would buy it, whether they are fans or not. a label is only going to release material if they feel there is a profit to be made from it, they are not reissuing out of print material out of charitable intentions . that is quite a leap to say 'they have reissued obscure albams, of course they will be releasing previously shelved ones too'. albams get shelved for a variety of reasons, a lot of the time due to an artist being unhappy with the material. an independent label can,t then just swoop an and release material without an artist's permission. We are assuming that geri wants 100% Pure Love out there, maybe she hates it and would rather it stays in the vault Image x
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 28 May 2016, 16:03

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:your reasoning is a little circular; if people don,t care for the music an artist produces, no-one would buy it, whether they are fans or not. a label is only going to release material if they feel this is a profit to be made from it, they are not reissuing out of print material out of charitable intentions . that is quite a leap to say 'they have reissued obscure albams, of course they will be releasing previously shelved ones too'. albams get shelved for a variety of reasons, a lot of the time due to an artist being unhappy with the material. an independent label can,t then just swoop an and release material without an artist's permission. We are assuming that geri wants 100% Pure Love out there, maybe she hates it and would rather it stays in the vault Image x

Not circular, but more realist. I'm using the LaToya releases for example. No one is going to buy those songs besides LaToya fans; not the GP. This label is specifically about re-releasing old music. An independent label can step in and buy and right to any song they want as long as they have the money to do so. That's how the industry works and how songs get passed out (example Victoria's Resentment going to Jazmine Sullivan then Beyonce). Each woman bought the rights to the song to record it and release it through their respective labels. In all reality, Geri has the least unreleased material out of the girls (unless you count the album she's recording now). This is why the Disco Sister/Passion sessions make the most sense. Geri recorded more songs during that time that we don't know of and are lucky to have versions of already that have leaked online. I'm not assuming she wants those songs out there, but do you think LaToya Jackson wanted her 25 year old song brought out of the vault? Probably not, but Vibe On bought the rights so they can release it as they please. Again, not trying to be rude but that's how it works in the industry.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 28 May 2016, 16:12

The owner of the label personally knows La Toya and she was aware of these reissues as they were being compiled. For someone who knows the ins and outs, you forget that the producers are also invested in any unused material, and a lot of the time they will block unreleased material from being released in the hopes they can use elements of it again elsewhere x
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 28 May 2016, 16:57

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:The owner of the label personally knows La Toya and she was aware of these reissues as they were being compiled. For someone who knows the ins and outs, you forget that the producers are also invested in any unused material, and a lot of the time they will block unreleased material from being released in the hopes they can use elements of it again elsewhere x

But you're also forgetting Vibe On apparently has the money to do what they want. They seem to be a stan-based label anyways, and even though LaToya had input they still released a 25 year old song for her. In this case, as known as Geri fans, she doesn't really have any left over tracks from the first two albums (to our knowledge). We do know, however, she went in one direction when she started recording her third album but scrapped that project in favor of the set of songs for "Passion". That is the only way I can see her having any unreleased material for them to obtain. The producers do have a say to a degree, but if a label already owns the rights to a song then no matter what the producer has no input. It seems as though Vibe On likes to buy rights to songs to re-release them on their label for fans of select artist of theirs on the label and of the GP Pop Music scene. I'm not trying to act like I know for sure this is what is going to happen but honestly, if you think about it, it is what makes the most sense. Even if she wouldn't want to be involved in a release of any of those songs, if the Vibe On bought the ownership to the song then they can release it as they please, without the artists consent. Paul Oakenfold just did this to Azealia Banks. In 2012, they recorded the song "Venus" for a project Paul scrapped. Paul then, owning Azealia's stems and contribution rights to the song, re-released it without Azealia's knowledge in 2016 under the name "Paul Oakenfold - Hypnotic (feat. Azealia Banks)" and gave it an official release without Azealia's consent. It's just an example as to what could happen with Geri and Vibe On.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 28 May 2016, 18:21

I think I'm right in thinking these labels tend to licence the tracks from the copyright owner, they don't actually buy the rights as such x

When Warners tried to release a Dannii compilation a few years back they couldn,t use some of the unreleased tracks as Korpi & Blackcell threw a hissy fit. they ended up leaking a couple of years ago anyway x
dhrbb03

Postby dhrbb03 » 28 May 2016, 21:30

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:I think I'm right in thinking these labels tend to licence the tracks from the copyright owner, they don't actually buy the rights as such x

When Warners tried to release a Dannii compilation a few years back they couldn,t use some of the unreleased tracks as Korpi & Blackcell threw a hissy fit. they ended up leaking a couple of years ago anyway x

Really? I thought it was because they weren't actually mixed completely. Karma is a Bitch was since it was to be released on The Platinum Collection, but K&B thought the three other tracks could be better. Rhino/Warner did not want to wait to release Unleashed, so they left out their stuff altogether. It was rather childish on their part actually to throw so much shade at Dannii, it should have been at Warner. They had plenty of time between the cancellation of The Platinum Collection and Unleashed to finish the other three for consideration if they thought they might be used in the future.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 28 May 2016, 22:50

GZ10 wrote:I guarantee they got the rights to some of her Disco Sister songs and of its a re-release of Passion. I know that doesn't make much sense now but that's the only era she could have left over tracks from. Plus, there is a LowKey underground following and curiousty in Geri's scrapped "Disco Sister" idea/plan. There has to be another track or two we haven't heard from that era in late '03/early '04 when she started recording the album. If they re-released the first two, they wouldn't have any extra material aside from remixes they make. I'm really going with a Passion or 100% Pure Love/Set Me Off release with additional remixes seeing as these are the type of songs this label loves.

As much as I would LOVE to hear all the Disco Sister songs between Scream and Passion, I highly doubt it would happen, nor does such a following stretch beyond this forum.
Trace Adam

Postby Trace Adam » 28 May 2016, 22:52

Who says re-release bonus songs have to be era-specific? Scizophonic is the album that makes the most sense to re-release but the bonus tracks don't necessarily have to be from that time period.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 29 May 2016, 00:12

Trace Adam wrote:Who says re-release bonus songs have to be era-specific? Scizophonic is the album that makes the most sense to re-release but the bonus tracks don't necessarily have to be from that time period.

I was thinking that but the OCD part of me would wish for any unreleased tracks to be from their specific recording era :D
Fulvio84

Postby Fulvio84 » 29 May 2016, 09:40

Anyway I asked them on fb if they are really working on it and they replied cannot say anything about projetcs not officially annunced
WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME IS MAKING ME STRONG!
upload immagini gratis
http://fulvio84.deviantart.com/

Return to “Geri Halliwell”