Why did Victoria give up her singing career?

It’s Exhausting Being This Fabulous
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that due to a request of the Beckhams, pictures of their children are NOT allowed to be posted on the forums!
Hannes84
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Why did Victoria give up her singing career?

Postby Hannes84 » 09 Sep 2016, 13:14

I've always wondered why. Did she really take the press' bad response so seriously that she swore never to do another album? She was #3, that would be amazing for ANY Spice girl today.
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
Vomiting Porpoise

Re: Why did Victoria give up her singing career?

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 10 Sep 2016, 12:08

flop & drop
mrvb_19

Postby mrvb_19 » 10 Sep 2016, 12:15

People hate her to succeed.
Madame de Saint-Just

Postby Madame de Saint-Just » 10 Sep 2016, 12:44

Because any person who isn't even under any kind of such scrutiny as Victoria used to be would lose heart, motivation, their passion and suffer a burn-out if they tried and tried their best only to be ridiculed and humilited. Add to this that Victoria was under ridiculously major scrutiny. The tabloids incited everybody to hate her, people liked to hate her for no good reason apart from the fact that they wanted to see somebody being dragged through the mud and humiliated as much as possible. Any sane person would lose their passion for something under these kinds of circumstances. Not to mention that a significant amount of Spice Girls fans rooted against her from the getgo of her solo career. She probably decided that enough is enough and she wasn't going to go crazy and end up in a psych ward because people are petty. When she said a few months ago that she had the last laugh - now that she is extra successful and acclaimed - she was entirely right. I'm very proud of her and good for her. Nobody should have to put up with what she had to endure, it's simply inhumane.
spiceworldforever

Postby spiceworldforever » 10 Sep 2016, 23:48

because her album was too ahead of it's time, people couldn't appreciate it ;)
megzluvsmelc
Custom Title: Beautiful Mind

Postby megzluvsmelc » 11 Sep 2016, 00:30

She wants to concrate on her fashion career.
This_Groove
Custom Title: SmallMan

Postby This_Groove » 11 Sep 2016, 05:49

Madame de Saint-Just wrote:Because any person who isn't even under any kind of such scrutiny as Victoria used to be would lose heart, motivation, their passion and suffer a burn-out if they tried and tried their best only to be ridiculed and humilited. Add to this that Victoria was under ridiculously major scrutiny. The tabloids incited everybody to hate her, people liked to hate her for no good reason apart from the fact that they wanted to see somebody being dragged through the mud and humiliated as much as possible. Any sane person would lose their passion for something under these kinds of circumstances. Not to mention that a significant amount of Spice Girls fans rooted against her from the getgo of her solo career. She probably decided that enough is enough and she wasn't going to go crazy and end up in a psych ward because people are petty. When she said a few months ago that she had the last laugh - now that she is extra successful and acclaimed - she was entirely right. I'm very proud of her and good for her. Nobody should have to put up with what she had to endure, it's simply inhumane.

Exactly :)
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 11 Sep 2016, 08:10

mrvb_19 wrote:People hate her to succeed.

Sounds like the majority of DD.
Madame de Saint-Just

Postby Madame de Saint-Just » 11 Sep 2016, 12:13

BootyliciousJosh wrote:
mrvb_19 wrote:People hate her to succeed.

Sounds like the majority of DD.

Exactly. And this was the attitude from 2000 when she released Out of Your Mind. Quite honestly, if I had been in Victoria's position I would have gone insane. Most everybody would have. It's one thing not to be interested in what a famous person does but people going out their way to destroy that person's hard work, spread unnecessary hate and lies and reduce that person's self esteem to zero is a completely different matter. I am glad she's given up on music, no matter the quality, people would never have allowed her to succeed just because her name is Victoria Beckham. If she had been the one who had released Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) or Can't Get You Out of My Head she still wouldn't have got the number one spot. She is a smart one. She realised that no matter the amount of energy she invested in her career, no matter the quality, she just couldn't win so she chose a career in which she knew her hard work would pay off because her products wouldn't be designed for those who hate her just for the sake of hating her. On a side note, I'm not at all surprised that she is extremely bitter about the Spice Girls or her solo career. Anybody would.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 11 Sep 2016, 17:36

Victoria doesn't strike me as being bitter about her former music career. She seems pretty at ease with her past, at least from a social media perspective, given the semi-regular & positive references to the Spice Girls. I just can't imagine her being "extremely bitter" about it, even behind closed doors, given how focused she is on her fashion career & her family. She seems to be in a very positive place.

We have to remember that Victoria wasn't unsuccessful as a solo artist. Everything she released went Top 10. She actually had a lot of fans & supporters during her solo career (so I respectfully disagree with the "Spice Girls fans rooted against her from the getgo of her solo career" claim... please feel free to show me the receipts :p). It wasn't fans who were the problem. It was primarily the media who put a negative spin on things, because they were by & large not supportive of her endeavours, particularly in 2001. They built her up to fail due to the lofty expectations put in place: that a Spice Girl was failing if she wasn't at #1 in the charts. Still, I don't think this constitutes as Victoria ever being treated in an inhumane way, in terms of her solo career. She played them at their own game - the newspapers and magazines needed Victoria as much as Victoria needed them for promotional purposes. At the end of the day, Victoria gave it her all for a number of years, but evidently came to the conclusion by 2004 that it wasn't working out how she'd like it to. I personally believe this was majorly to do with the fact that her label went bankrupt... it's not like she immediately gave up when 'TG'/'LLYHG' got to #3, aka "not #1"... she was still ploughing ahead with working on her album for a few months before she eventually called time. To me, this indicates that the press reaction wasn't the main reason for her giving up her solo career. If she'd cared that deeply about that, she'd probably have thrown in the towel immediately after 'Out of Your Mind', rather than spend almost 5 years focusing on being a solo artist!

Side-note: I don't believe Victoria "knew" that her career in fashion would pay off (re: "She is a smart one. She realised that no matter the amount of energy she invested in her [solo music] career, no matter the quality, she just couldn't win so she chose a career in which she knew her hard work would pay off"). There were no guarantees that she'd definitely succeed in such a notoriously difficult industry. It so easily could have been another "can't win situation" because of the walls she had to break down, the preconceived ideas people may have had towards her being a celebrity & former popstar. I assume at the start of this venture she'd have had a level of self-belief that her clothes would do the talking, and hopes that she wouldn't be prejudged purely based on who she was. Thankfully her hard work did pay off to the extent that she was taken seriously, but she couldn't have known this would be the case.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 12 Sep 2016, 00:04

""cos fashion is her passion"

but in all seriousness I am proud of Victoria and she has done amazingly well, as she's proved a lot of people wrong.
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 12 Sep 2016, 11:29

Interesting answers. To me it's a great shame she gave up on her singing career, as I could see her as one of the most successful ones. Not because of her voice, but because of the brand. If she were to release a track now, I'm sure it'd be a major success, since she is a perfectionist. But I do understand the reasons.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 12 Sep 2016, 18:04

dunno if she would end up being a success nowadays...

i mean, i see t like parís Hilton.

being a worldwide celebrity but it's not like if she releases a song, people take her seriously
menime123

Postby menime123 » 13 Sep 2016, 01:33

Personally, I think she gave it up to focus on 'Brand Beckham'. Whilst she wasn't unsuccessful as a solo pop star, she wasn't majorly successful. As much as I enjoy the majority of her solo recordings, nothing she ever did really screamed 'HIT'. She clearly struggled to come up with the goods and pop music was on its way out.

I have to say though, if she really wanted to be a solo artist she'd have continued. It would have only taken 2 or 3 good songs that proved she could do it - look at how Beiber has reinvented himself into a legitimate pop star with just his last album. She should have done a full album with True Steppers, avoided pop music and signed away from Virgin - Virgin only wanted a cash in.

Half of me thinks she only went solo because she didn't have anything else to fall back on at that point. After she failed to release a second album, we got WAG Spice and then she tried to get in on reality TV, with documentaries in the UK and US (Imagine if that 'Coming To America' series actually happened?) and started messing around with (what I'm sure started as a celebrity) fragrances.

Personally I think the fashion stuff only came about because the DVB stuff sold, which encouraged her to pursue that avenue. But at the same time, if her records had sold she'd have continued to pursue that too.
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 13 Sep 2016, 07:20

PeruvianSpice wrote:dunno if she would end up being a success nowadays...

being a worldwide celebrity but it's not like if she releases a song, people take her seriously

Erm I do think VB as a celeb personality has a bit more dignity than Paris. VB stared as a singer, not s fashion mogule. :)
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 13 Sep 2016, 20:28

Hannes84 wrote:

Erm I do think VB as a celeb personality has a bit more dignity than Paris. VB stared as a singer, not s fashion mogule. :)

I know and I agree

I just meant that by being a huge celebrity and into fashion, does not guarantee she would be a big Singer nowadays
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 15 Sep 2016, 06:30

PeruvianSpice wrote:
Hannes84 wrote:

I know and I agree

I just meant that by being a huge celebrity and into fashion, does not guarantee she would be a big Singer nowadays

Yeah that's true but since she already has a background in singing and a "failed" solo career, she is more likely to have a hit than not, if she ever decided to record music. Let Your Head Go was quite amazing, and still sounds pretty current with the 90's R&B-sound trying to make a desperate comeback atm.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 15 Sep 2016, 11:27

I remember Calvin Harris saying not so long ago that he wanted to record with Victoria. That could have been very cool, considering Calvin is pretty much guaranteed to achieve a hit with whatever he releases, and the hype would no doubt have been absolutely insane. Definitely the easiest way Victoria could have achieved another hit single.

*stops dreaming* :p
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 15 Sep 2016, 12:12

Jay wrote:I remember Calvin Harris saying not so long ago that he wanted to record with Victoria. That could have been very cool, considering Calvin is pretty much guaranteed to achieve a hit with whatever he releases, and the hype would no doubt have been absolutely insane. Definitely the easiest way Victoria could have achieved another hit single.

*stops dreaming* :p

That's exactly what I had in mind, too lol. A flashy, fashion-related music video with an EDM track and there you go; Victoria Beckham is the only SG doing well solo LOL
mats

Postby mats » 15 Sep 2016, 16:24

It's sad because the leaked tracks from her shelved album sounded good :(
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 17 Sep 2016, 13:25

So to set the record straight once and for all, who copied who? Geri's SIYWGF or Vicky's NSAIG video?
How on earth did they end up with the SAME concept weeks apart?
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 17 Sep 2016, 21:50

Geri copied because it's just obvious that Vic is better xx
Rocky

Postby Rocky » 20 Sep 2016, 08:49

Forgive my lack of specific dates but didn't her every venture into music get canceled due to a pregnancy?!
Maybe she'll start recording again now that all the kids can sing back up?
Alexpc

Postby Alexpc » 20 Sep 2016, 09:49

Because she is weak, and she doesn't have respect for music and the incredibly big chance she got.

There are a lot of people out there (including some of the other Spices) that received a lot of critics too, but they were strong enough to carry on and believe in themselves enough to pursue their music dreams even if the press and the critics were against it.

She is a superficial woman with no self esteem, and she needs people to tell her she is good to feel confident. She even said that in her autobiography, so now people and critics say she is good in fashion, so she feels confident on that field. Sad.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 20 Sep 2016, 21:09

Alexpc wrote:Because she is weak

She is a superficial woman with no self esteem

Return to “Victoria Beckham”