Fifth Harmony

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Re: Fifth Harmony

Postby spicefreak » 22 Dec 2016, 16:16

While I would never use the word as I think it is a vile word, the way in which was used was not a form of hatred which is what racism is. It was not used in a derogatory way at all. When black people use the word is it racist then? No of course not because it is not meant in a derogatory way.

Personally I don't understand the use of the word at all by anyone.
Jer

Postby Jer » 22 Dec 2016, 19:07

addicted2you wrote:Because the way she is using it is not in a racist way. I've not read much of what she had written because it's still violating someone else's privacy . But from what I did read she used the term "my nigga" as a greeting to her friend in private. (Unless there are other things She said that I never read) Racism comes from a place of hate and the way she used it was definitely not hateful.

As someone who is not a victim of black racial hate, she does not get the license to use that word, nor do you get the a say in its definition. Yes, it is uttered by racialized black minorities in an effort to reappropriate the word and to give it new meaning amongst themselves. It is essentially a method of self-empowerment. It's the same feeling I (or many on this forum) would have if someone ever called me a "faggot"...it carries a certain meaning when the word is directed at a minority by those that have a history of discrimination against said minority group.

A slur is a slur. Whether it's said in private with a friend or in public, it is still a SLUR that carries meaning for some (often many). Not saying a slur is an act of respect for people that have been discriminated against, prejudged, and have faced hate on a daily basis. To be ignorant to that is such a shame and only speaks to that person's privilege.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 22 Dec 2016, 19:48

Jer wrote:
addicted2you wrote:Because the way she is using it is not in a racist way. I've not read much of what she had written because it's still violating someone else's privacy . But from what I did read she used the term "my nigga" as a greeting to her friend in private. (Unless there are other things She said that I never read) Racism comes from a place of hate and the way she used it was definitely not hateful.

As someone who is not a victim of black racial hate, she does not get the license to use that word, nor do you get the a say in its definition. Yes, it is uttered by racialized black minorities in an effort to reappropriate the word and to give it new meaning amongst themselves. It is essentially a method of self-empowerment. It's the same feeling I (or many on this forum) would have if someone ever called me a "faggot"...it carries a certain meaning when the word is directed at a minority by those that have a history of discrimination against said minority group.

A slur is a slur. Whether it's said in private with a friend or in public, it is still a SLUR that carries meaning for some (often many). Not saying a slur is an act of respect for people that have been discriminated against, prejudged, and have faced hate on a daily basis. To be ignorant to that is such a shame and only speaks to that person's privilege.

Sorry but as a gay man myself that is a pile of tripe. It's either an offensive homophobic/racist slur word for everyone all the time or it depends on the context in which it is used. Like with the 'F' word you used it's a horrid word and if used as a slur then it's downright offensive. I'm not particularly keen on jokes using the word but I can accept it for a joke when it is meant as a joke or in jest or whatever context, regardless of whether a 'gay' or 'straight' person uses it. This is from someone who doesn't actually use the word himself whether to 'reapproiate' or as a joke. Black people who use the N word in jest or within a different context that allow that (or people who think it is ok for black people to do so) cannot then turn around and cry racism at someone else using it in the same context who is not black. Same for gay people and gay slurs in different context.

You either say no it's offensive whoever uses it or it's offensive if meant in a derogatory way whoever uses it, it' cannot be one rule for one and another for another.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 22 Dec 2016, 23:46

The 'N' word isn't just any old thing people are blowing out of proportion. It's a derogatory word that for such a long time has been used to hurt People of color. I can't believe we even have to have this conversation as adults and FYI if you're not a poc you don't then get to decide what's considered offensive to people of color.
forever_spice_boy01
Custom Title: i like boys

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 23 Dec 2016, 23:38

ahh did any of you read fifth harmony's response to camila's statement?

apparently they tried to convince her to do a 3rd album since they finally had some success this year but she refused. I mean her solo song with MGK is top 10 in the US charts right now. They even flew in a therapist while they were on tour to work out their issues but camila stopped/refused after the first session because it ended up in a 4 against 1 gang up situation.

The girls also weren't too pleased when she initially started her solo endeavours, her song with shawn mendes (released last year) ended up going platinum in the US (on its way to double).

Camila and her team (camila is the only member with her own management team and separate manager to the group) suggested that the group go on hiatus so that camila could put out a solo album but the other girls refused given the momentum they have right now.

There was also a leaked audio of lauren clearly upset talking to ally where she was saying along the lines of "they constantly make decisions to fuck us over! we're literally slaves to them and we have nothing to show for it!" AND during a fan q&a, someone asked them if they had any advice for someone trying to get into the music industry, and lauren said "read your contract" - This probably stems from the amount of money the girls have made as well as the label/management favouring camila and trying to sabotage the group.

Apparently their record label has been planning a Camila solo album for the last year sneaking her off to solo sessions with top producers and writers behind the girls backs (or maybe they knew about it which is why lauren said what she said). Also, there are talks that they offered camila a solo deal however if she took it, all the money that would have went towards a 3rd fifth harmony album would go to camila's solo album.

My personal opinion is that she left too soon. I feel like she'll be successful but she just kinda ditched the girls and left them in a bad spot. There's no doubt that camila was potentially going to be the breakout star of the group but if she had done another album with the group they would have cemented themselves as more of an established group, leaving the other girls with more opportunity.

I hope fifth harmony continues with the other 4 girls on board but I guess we'll have to see how everything plays out.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 24 Dec 2016, 22:48

It's for the best she left. Camilla didn't really have anyone in the group that she was close too and just by going off interviews and her snap chat, she came across as an outsider.

Dinah aside, the remaining girls need to step up their game. Next to no stage presence
PopIsHot
Custom Title: Hotter Now

Postby PopIsHot » 24 Dec 2016, 23:22

Their days are numbered. Sorry to say but Camila leaving will only give Camila more attention than ever when it comes to her solo releases. While the group will need another Work from Home, to remain relevant and proved that the power of 4 is enough. But they were not that huge, 7/27 is not a big seller, so I can't see them lasting in the next 3 years with a major label backing them up if they don't get those hits.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 25 Dec 2016, 04:45

I think they will be around for at least one more album before they go their separate ways. Camila is in my opinion the least interesting but I agree this drama will keep her around for a few solo albums. That's a lie though about the other girls having no stage presence. Normani is the best performer in this band!
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 25 Dec 2016, 07:56

Wasn't there a rumour of Camilla and some other member having a relationship?
forever_spice_boy01

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 28 Dec 2016, 03:18

^ yea there was a rumour that camila and lauren had or are having a secret relationship.

I don't think she was as much of an outsider as you may think, she definitely was friends with dinah, i recently saw dinah's snapchat a few weeks ago where camila singing her new song "bad things" live and dinah was backstage lip synching and dancing to the song. I think she kinda alienated herself by becoming bff's with taylor swift and becoming a member of her girl squad while the other girls weren't invited. There were events and parties that the other 4 would go to together, and camila would be hanging out with taylor and that squad instead of the other girls.

I think her team definitely pushed for her to see herself and make her social media more of a tool for her solo career. Remember she's the only member of the group that has her own manager and management team separate from the group.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Dec 2016, 07:13

was there ever a reason as to why she had her own team?

so maybe now lauren and camila are over
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 28 Dec 2016, 13:47

Pretty sure Lauren is dating a different girl.

Probably conflict of interest to represent both Fifth harmony and just Camilla. Maybe if all the girls had th same management team to look after them all individually it would've been fair.

Have they made any appearances as a four piece yet
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Dec 2016, 18:19

I meant, was there any report to say whu would she get a management team as if she were a solo artist?

Did she ask for one? The Company gave her one?
forever_spice_boy01

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 04 Jan 2017, 08:12

They made some interesting points about the whole messy 5H/camila split

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Kh69f901Y&t
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 06 Jan 2017, 20:03

Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 08 Jan 2017, 23:55

Fifth Harmony's New Deal: Quartet Re-Ups With Epic After Camila Cabello's Exit: Exclusive

Now a foursome, the label has exercised its option for a third full-length album, Billboard has confirmed.

The group Fifth Harmony splintered over the Christmas holiday, announcing on Dec. 19 that founding member Camilla Cabello, 19, was leaving the group to pursue a solo career and that the four remaining girls -- Ally Brooke, 23, Normani Kordei, 20, Dinah Jane, 19, and Lauren Jauregui, 20 -- will continue on as a four-piece. Three days later, Epic Records and Syco exercised their option on the pop act, Billboard has confirmed, moving full-steam ahead with a third Fifth Harmony album to be released in 2017. Cabello, meanwhile, is expected to drop her first single -- after appearing alongside Shawn Mendes and Machine Gun Kelly on two Hot 100 top 20 hits -- in April or May.

After selling 7 million U.S. digital downloads and nearly half-a-million albums (according to Nielsen Music), scoring a top five Billboard Hot 100 hit ("Work from Home” in 2016) and racking 1.6 billion U.S. on-demand streams in a career launched on Fox's The X Factor in 2012, Fifth Harmony has reached the sort of career milestone that graduates of reality shows rarely see. “There’s a stigma attached to a reality show that they have eclipsed,” says Joe Willis, longtime manager of American Idol winner Jordin Sparks. “That Fifth Harmony has been able to build their fan base, as One Direction did, was a masterstroke by Simon Cowell.”

And success provided the act the leverage to renegotiate what is typically an onerous contract -- signed by the girls as individuals before even stepping foot on the TV stage that would give them their Cowell-constructed shot -- with terms that dictate a length of seven years and assign them to specific companies and affiliates within the Sony Music system. (Syco Entertainment is a joint venture with Sony.)

“The standard contract is worse than a 360 nightmare,” explains Loeb & Loeb attorney Debra White, who negotiates similar deals for contestants of NBC's The Voice, adding that a company like the Cowell-founded Syco Entertainment "gets to be the record company, the publisher, the manager, they have a piece of touring and merchandise." Re-signing allows for a re-evaluation and offers an opportunity to diminish or eliminate terms that seem unfair to an artist who has had hits and brought the label revenue. According to a source, negotiations are ongoing, with the Fifth Harmony members having already reclaimed ownership of their trademark. Adds White: “If it were me, I would want a higher royalty rate; I would try to get all of the ancillaries uncrossed and limit the amount of product and length of the contract. I would also fight hard to increase the committed money for marketing and promotion, and creative approval.”

Representatives for Fifth Harmony would not comment beyond affirming that “Epic has in fact exercised their deal option with Fifth Harmony,” but a source in the camp says staying put is a win-win. (The group shared its first official photo as a quartet on Jan. 5, below.)

“They’re in a position to have more creative involvement and really direct where they want their music to go,” the insider offers. “They're a huge name on the Epic roster so it makes sense to keep them there and work on another hit album. While, at the same time it benefits the girls to stay as well and really own the direction they're going in rather than litigate themselves out of a deal.”

Another label source says Epic Records chairman Antonio "L.A." Reid “Doesn't ‘let go’ of successful artists -- ever. He even has a hard time parting with the unsuccessful ones.”

As for Cowell, a rep assures that he has remained "committed as ever to the group he envisioned."

The girls' contentious division -- made all the more awkward with both Fifth Harmony and Cabello signed to the same label and working on music separately but at the same time -- shouldn’t worry fans, either, says White. “It proves that Epic/Syco is really believing in the brand, and they don't give a shit if it's Fourth or Fifth Harmony. They’re going to find amazing songs and make a go of it.”
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 29 May 2017, 21:46

New single Down is out June 2nd and they are performing on Good morning America the same day <3
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 30 May 2017, 00:47

I'm excited I really hope they come.hard. This is an important release for them. Hoping for a really good song.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 01 Jun 2017, 13:56

Normally new songs drop at midnight here, but sadly it hasn't come out and I've stayed awake for nothing :(
Alberto!

Postby Alberto! » 01 Jun 2017, 21:11

addicted2you wrote:Normally new songs drop at midnight here, but sadly it hasn't come out and I've stayed awake for nothing :(

Wasn't it always meant to be released on the 2nd June, which is tomorrow?
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 02 Jun 2017, 00:35

Alberto! wrote:
addicted2you wrote:Normally new songs drop at midnight here, but sadly it hasn't come out and I've stayed awake for nothing :(

Wasn't it always meant to be released on the 2nd June, which is tomorrow?

It is June 2nd for me because of the time difference :)
I think the only advantage of living in NZ is we get new music couple of hours before the rest of the world however not the case with Down
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 03 Jun 2017, 06:16

Already #2 on American iTunes. Sounds like a rehash of Work From Home to me, but still fits in with what's on trend at the moment so don't mind them playing it safe to score another hit.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 04 Jun 2017, 00:42

Not bad but nothing new sounds like their other songs I'm glad Camila left :p
mattz10101
Custom Title: SpiceUpYourLife.

Postby mattz10101 » 04 Jun 2017, 03:22

addicted2you wrote:Image

Already #2 on American iTunes. Sounds like a rehash of Work From Home to me, but still fits in with what's on trend at the moment so don't mind them playing it safe to score another hit.

They sound similar because they were written/produced by the same people :)
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 08 Jun 2017, 14:16

Wasn't expecting the video to be this good. Ally actually dancing in sync with the others !? :love:

Return to “Music”