Madonna

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
VodkaMouth

Re: Madonna

Postby VodkaMouth » 18 Mar 2016, 03:11

I seriously used to love Madonna, but I just can't take her seriously anymore, she kind of looks like a joke constantly lately.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 18 Mar 2016, 15:52

The ironic thing about Madonna is that when she was the one and only queen, she seemed to be a really down to Earth person that knew went be eccentric and when to behave. And now that there's a lot of competition and she's no longer "the one", the fame has gone to his head and she keeps on doing embarrassing things over and over. You'd think for someone that's been on the business for so long, she should know by now what kind of things put people off and what don't.

Also, she doesn't sell records and she hasn't had a proper hit single in a decade. The only thing that still makes her relevant are her high quality successful tours. So to start fucking them up is basically killing the last remains of her career.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 18 Mar 2016, 15:57

^ Thing is I don't care whether her albums sells loads or not or whether her singles are successful, because that doesn't have to do with quality. But I thought she was a really good and entertaining performer, but even that is gone now, at least in my opinion. The fact she hasn't released a truly good album in years is also very disappointing. 'Rebel Heart' is not bad, but I must have listened to it from beginning to end just about twice.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 18 Mar 2016, 16:06

For me Rebel Heart has some of her best tracks since the Confessions album (Ghost Town, Messiah, Joan of Arc, Living for Love) but overall is a sloppy mess with too many tracks overall (the deluxe tracks included)

Less is sometimes more Madonna.

Also up until Confessions all her albums sounds used to seem so fresh with her setting trends now she kind of does the opposite. Maybe that has contributed to her much smaller album sales? :shrug:
kamel

Postby kamel » 18 Mar 2016, 16:12

Madonna suffered another meltdown on stage last night after she exposed a 17-year-old's breasts - but the teenage victim insisted today: 'It's no big deal'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... lap-a.html

I think Madonna wants to be the next Miley Cyrus :confused:
[ben]
Custom Title: dere n ara deg ata i

Postby [ben] » 18 Mar 2016, 20:00

^ I agree. Since Confessions, Madonna's no longer created fresh sounds and just tried to be mainstream and down with the kidz!

The Orbit/Mirwais/Price era was awesome
jas

Postby jas » 19 Mar 2016, 17:11

She was amazing tonight! What a machine! Show went for over 2 hours and she was on point from start to finish.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 19 Mar 2016, 18:12

Madonna wants Kylie :D I don't think she'll show :p
[ben]
Custom Title: dere n ara deg ata i

Postby [ben] » 19 Mar 2016, 18:34

Madonna is sounding desperate over Kylie now.

But I think she WILL show up
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 19 Mar 2016, 22:58

Yeah she's been posting about it a lot and Kylie said thanks to her tweet anyway I hope she shows up :Angel: :D
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 21 Mar 2016, 14:16

OMG she blew everyone off last night . Sydney. She was phenomenal! Vocals, moves, attitude 100%.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 22 Mar 2016, 02:31

LOL Kylie didn't show up I knew it :laugh:
kamel

Postby kamel » 22 Mar 2016, 17:55

Madonna is an attention seeker .im glad Kylie didn't show up :devil:
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 23 Mar 2016, 16:31

Blond Pharaoh wrote:LOL Kylie didn't show up I knew it :laugh:

Poor Madge that must have been embarrassing.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 25 Mar 2016, 18:06

LOL indeed :laugh: Kylie is a fan of Madonna and all but she's more classy and her shows are classier than Madonna that's why I knew she wasn't gonna show up
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 26 Mar 2016, 19:25

So Madonna has filmed the DVD at one of her Australia shows, anyone know what the possible setlist for the DVD may be then?
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 26 Mar 2016, 19:29

I,m not sure, but I hope it contains the "Kylie, where are you?" speech Image x
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 27 Mar 2016, 23:33

She filmed both shows so she'll piece together the best bits. She did the same setlist on both nights, so it should be this.

"Video Introduction" (contains elements of "Iconic")
"Iconic"
"Bitch I'm Madonna"
"Burning Up"
"Holy Water" (contains excerpts from "Vogue")
"Devil Pray"
"Messiah" (video interlude)
"Body Shop"
"True Blue"
"Deeper and Deeper"
"HeartBreakCity" (contains excerpts from "Love Don't Live Here Anymore")
"Like a Virgin" (contains elements of "Heartbeat" and "Justify My Love)"
"S.E.X." (video interlude) (contains elements of "Justify My Love")
"Living for Love"
"La Isla Bonita"
"Dress You Up" / "Into the Groove" / "Lucky Star" / "Dress You Up" (Reprise)
"Take A Bow"
"Like A Prayer"
"Rebel Heart"
"Illuminati" (video interlude)
"Music" (contains elements of "Give It 2 Me")
"Candy Shop"
"Material Girl"
"La Vie en rose"
"Unapologetic Bitch"
"Holiday"
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 07 Apr 2016, 23:16

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCgmp6VBXzf/

richardcorman / @billboard magazine just released story @madonna missing Polaroids. Thought I had lost #SX-70 #polaroids taken in 1983. Found 66 images never seen before. #madonnanyc83

spiceworldforever

Postby spiceworldforever » 13 Apr 2016, 15:09

Don't know if any of you are interested but the Iconic backdrop leaked.

Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 05 May 2016, 16:31

Madonna wrote:We have fought and continue to fight for civil rights and gay rights around the world. When it comes to Women's rights we are still in the dark ages. My dress at the Met Ball was a political statement as well as a fashion statement. The fact that people actually believe a woman is not allowed to express her sexuality and be adventurous past a certain age is proof that we still live in an age-ist and sexist society. I have never thought in a limited way and I'm not going to start. We cannot effect change unless we are willing to take risks By being fearless and By taking the road leas traveled by. Thats how we change history. If you have a problem with the way I dress it is simply a reflection of your prejudice. I'm not afraid to pave the way for all the girls behind me!! As Nina once said, the definition of freedom is being fearless. I remain Unapologetic and a Rebel heart in this life and all the others. Join my fight for Gender. Equality!

Thoughts?
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 05 May 2016, 16:49

I think she's totally wrong about it being a women issue (about her dress). That issue she's talking about does exist, although I wouldn't go as far as saying "women's rights are still in the dark ages" and supposedly civil and gay rights aren't. Nowadays, gay rights are still on a lower scale when it comes to acceptation and respect. Women can vote, work, be free, get married, have children or adopt. Gays and lesbians are only allowed to do all that freely in a handful countries.

The issue with her dress isn't because she's a woman, it's because of the dress itself and how she's being sexual on a context where there's no need to. If a male celebrity had attended wearing a suit showing his ass cheeks and transparencies on his chest, I am sure it would've been negatively commented too. So it's hardly an issue for being a woman being sexual, it's just for being sexual and showing some unasked-for flesh, no matter the gender. I don't understand her obsession with being sexual on every single place she wants. Certain things are ok on certain contexts and not so ok on others and that doesn't take away any rights. Demanding her right to be sexual on a red carpet of an event without being judged is like demanding her right of telling jokes on a funeral. Each thing has its own moment and place to be done.

To be fair, I think lately she's just wanting to make headlines, disguised with a supposed fight for rights. And she's not paving anyone's way when actually other celebrities (Nicki Minaj, Miley, Rihanna...) are doing "worse" things lately when it comes to being sexual and liberated. Madonna has just became a caricature of herself, to be honest.

I do agree that there's an issue with being sexual at certain age. Like people are supposed to stop living past 40 or 50. But I also believe that most of the hate she gets for doing that is because it's her, Madonna. And the more famous you are the bigger the love and the bigger the hate. Cher is almost 70 and nobody would criticize her if she appeared dressing sexy on a red carpet. They criticize Madonna because she has always done it in a controversial way and has also crossed the line quite a few times.

And, to finish, I also think she's being quite an hypocrite. When she was young she released the SEX book and she was all over the place with the same speech about freedom and so on. Then she had Lola and she tried her best to remove that book from existence (as if she could do that) cause she didn't want her daughter to see her doing that. But now that Lola is a grown up, it suits her again to be sexual and a liberated woman again.

So basically, I think she's right about certain things, but she has come to a place where maybe she's no longer a good role model of progression and equality because nobody takes her seriously anymore.

*oops! sorry*
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Narrator
Custom Title: elephant in the room

Postby Narrator » 05 May 2016, 17:14

Was there even any sort of uproar/reaction to her dress? I didn't read anything about it... :death:
When I saw pictures of her in that dress I didn't even find it shocking, I just thought "Meh, same old, same old" (no pun intended :p). And the captions I read didn't really say anything too negative/extreme either :shrug:
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 05 May 2016, 21:07

The dress is nothing, it,s her stretched mess of a face that upsets me x
Jimboid

Postby Jimboid » 06 May 2016, 01:28

IER wrote:I think she's totally wrong about it being a women issue (about her dress). That issue she's talking about does exist, although I wouldn't go as far as saying "women's rights are still in the dark ages" and supposedly civil and gay rights aren't. Nowadays, gay rights are still on a lower scale when it comes to acceptation and respect. Women can vote, work, be free, get married, have children or adopt. Gays and lesbians are only allowed to do all that freely in a handful countries.

To suggest that women's rights are still in the Dark Ages misunderstands and indeed undermines the very real and truly fierce championing that has led to this point by proponents such as Sonjourner Truth, Emmeline Pankhurst and, more recently, Malala Yousafzai (to name but three). Each fought and made real gains for suffrage, for liberty and for education. That is not to say that there is not further work to be done, or that inequalities do not still exist, but to claim they are in the Dark Ages is hyperbolic misrepresentation.

IER wrote:The issue with her dress isn't because she's a woman, it's because of the dress itself and how she's being sexual on a context where there's no need to. If a male celebrity had attended wearing a suit showing his ass cheeks and transparencies on his chest, I am sure it would've been negatively commented too. So it's hardly an issue for being a woman being sexual, it's just for being sexual and showing some unasked-for flesh, no matter the gender. I don't understand her obsession with being sexual on every single place she wants. Certain things are ok on certain contexts and not so ok on others and that doesn't take away any rights. Demanding her right to be sexual on a red carpet of an event without being judged is like demanding her right of telling jokes on a funeral. Each thing has its own moment and place to be done.

Context is key here. In her statement, Madonna claims discusses, taking 'risks', being 'fearless' and 'changing history', but it is unclear exactly how the act - wearing the dress - realistically challenges the 'age-ist and sexist society' she refers to. If the battleground is unclear, it is still less clear what gains she hopes to make by wearing the dress... It is hard to see that this genuinely challenges any real preconceptions, or that it is likely to have an impact on anyone other than herself. If this is a statement about individual expression that is fine, but it should not be framed in a way that seeks to extend it beyond that.

IER wrote:To be fair, I think lately she's just wanting to make headlines, disguised with a supposed fight for rights. And she's not paving anyone's way when actually other celebrities (Nicki Minaj, Miley, Rihanna...) are doing "worse" things lately when it comes to being sexual and liberated. Madonna has just became a caricature of herself, to be honest.

Absolutely, it feels largely to be about sensatonalism through salaciousness and there is little that is sensational here. Madonna states 'I have never thought in a limited way,' yet it is interesting to see the boundaries that her outfit conforms to. Every part of the female anatomy that would generally be considered to be the most sexually explicit is censured by this outfit: the nipples, the vagina, the anus. That is of course entirely justifiable and her choice, but it does mean that the outfit is conforming within fairly structured ideas of what society views to be acceptable.

IER wrote:I do agree that there's an issue with being sexual at certain age. Like people are supposed to stop living past 40 or 50. But I also believe that most of the hate she gets for doing that is because it's her, Madonna. And the more famous you are the bigger the love and the bigger the hate. Cher is almost 70 and nobody would criticize her if she appeared dressing sexy on a red carpet. They criticize Madonna because she has always done it in a controversial way and has also crossed the line quite a few times.

I'm not even sure that it is about ageism? I think generally sexuality is perceived as being something that is intimate and private and so there is a certain level at which it is sacrosanct rather than to be paraded and performed in public. As you state above, Nicki Minaj, Miley and Rihanna have all 'done worse' and all have received criticism for it. Perhaps this is around challenges to traditionally accepted constructs of femininity? I genuinely don't know and cannot think of male counterparts that would make for useful comparison?

IER wrote:And, to finish, I also think she's being quite an hypocrite. When she was young she released the SEX book and she was all over the place with the same speech about freedom and so on. Then she had Lola and she tried her best to remove that book from existence (as if she could do that) cause she didn't want her daughter to see her doing that. But now that Lola is a grown up, it suits her again to be sexual and a liberated woman again.

So basically, I think she's right about certain things, but she has come to a place where maybe she's no longer a good role model of progression and equality because nobody takes her seriously anymore.

There's a hard-core group of fans that do take her incredibly seriously and that genuinely believe this has been able progress and equality. It's hard not to feel sceptical of any 'art' whereby the artist or performer has to explain its role or purpose. If the 'art' itself is not capable of conveying and sustaining that message on its own level, it surely draws question as to its efficacy? There are some big claims on offer, but scratch behind these and there feels little substantive... The argument feels as transparent as the outfit itself (in its carefully chosen locations)...

Return to “Music”