Steps

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
Dom

Re: Steps

Postby Dom » 20 May 2016, 17:58

Did anyone pick this up? Mine came today, the packaging is gorgeous. The booklet is nicely put together, includes chart positions, original artwork of the singles, and even tracklistings of the original singles + promos!

Demon are brilliant at doing these type of compilations, I hope there's more to come. I don't think they'd be much interest in album re-issues, but I could see a singles boxset doing well. Off the top of my head, there's the Don Grant Mix of Learn To Love Again, the unreleased W.I.P. Mix of Say You'll Be Mine & five unreleased mixes of Baby Don't Dance from a CD-R that has never leaked. Plus, i'm sure PWL could uncover some alternate mixes / backing tracks like they did for Kylie a few years back...
UnusualChris

Postby UnusualChris » 20 May 2016, 20:43

Got mine and I love the packaging and booklet! I was expecting something cheap and basic but a lot of effort has actually gone into it.

I'm also loving the new Say You'll Be Mine remix, it's very 80s!
UnusualChris

Postby UnusualChris » 20 May 2016, 21:12

Here's a snippet of the Say You'll Be Mine remix.

Dom

Postby Dom » 20 May 2016, 21:30

The Matt Pop Mix of Say You'll Be Mine is amazing in all its SAW glory.

I'm also living for all the Sleazesisters mixes!
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 20 May 2016, 21:54

I've had a very Steps-filled week this week as I've had that random 2-disc collection that came out a few months ago on in the car. Seems utterly random tracklist wise, but I love it.

£12.99 (on HMV anyway) seems a bit steep for this remix anthology but hey ho, I've just took the plunge and I'm very excited for its arrival. I do hope they tour next year.
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 21 May 2016, 22:14

Dom wrote:Did anyone pick this up? Mine came today, the packaging is gorgeous. The booklet is nicely put together, includes chart positions, original artwork of the singles, and even tracklistings of the original singles + promos!

Demon are brilliant at doing these type of compilations, I hope there's more to come. I don't think they'd be much interest in album re-issues, but I could see a singles boxset doing well. Off the top of my head, there's the Don Grant Mix of Learn To Love Again, the unreleased W.I.P. Mix of Say You'll Be Mine & five unreleased mixes of Baby Don't Dance from a CD-R that has never leaked. Plus, i'm sure PWL could uncover some alternate mixes / backing tracks like they did for Kylie a few years back...

I received it yesterday and love it. The booklet is very informative (more than the 16 pages advertised I think?) and overall well worth the £12 I paid for it!
Will be interesting to hear the remixes. When Steps were first about, I was pretty young and didn't appreciate the remixes on the singles, so it will be nice to listen with fresh ears to them!

Hopefully Demon will continue to make compilations for 90's bands!
Also a quick note, I see on the credits on the back say that Demon is owned by BBC Worldwide??
UnusualChris

Postby UnusualChris » 23 May 2016, 20:46

Anyone know if the StepsVEVO account on YouTube is their official account? 10 months ago they uploaded most of the videos from The Next Step Live tour and now this week they've uploaded videos from Live at Wembley.

It has given me the chance to enjoy this tune once again :music:

Jamie

Postby Jamie » 23 May 2016, 22:14

Apparently it is official! The videos are in good quality too <3

Spice fans think they have it so hard with Woman, there's so many unreleased Steps songs they did live!
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 31 May 2016, 18:29

'Stomp All Night - The Remix Anthology' entered the albums chart at #175. I'd hazard a guess that that is around 700+ copies sold.

It was a physical-only release; it charted at #78 in the official Physical Albums chart, so that shows how downloads & streaming benefited other albums to the point that Steps were shoved down almost 100 places.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 31 May 2016, 19:14

That's not terrible considering it was a completely random release aimed at a very specific demographic!
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 31 May 2016, 19:20

Yeah surprised it charted at all, odd decision to not sell it digitally though or have it up for streaming.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Dom

Postby Dom » 31 May 2016, 21:34

I don't think Demon put their releases up for digital downloads / streaming. I think the only releases they have done this for are 5, 6, 7, 8: The Collection and their B*Witched collection? And I think that was done a few months after the physical releases.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 04 Jun 2016, 03:51

Received this yesterday! *.* I really like the packaging, and the effort put into the booklet. It was indeed a little difficult to get the discs out, but doing it slowly/patiently helped me to avoid ripping the digipak.

I noticed that 9 of the 10 tracks included on CD2 of 'The Last Dance' are included on 'Stomp All Night'. When it comes to 'Tragedy' [W.I.P. Reception Mix], a shorter version is included on 'The Last Dance' [6:26] compared to the version on 'Stomp All Night' [6:58]

As a side note, it's a shame the '5, 6, 7, 8: The Collection' release doesn't contain the original versions of 'Human Touch' and 'Mars & Venus (We Fall In Love Again)'.
Dom

Postby Dom » 04 Jun 2016, 09:14

Jay wrote:As a side note, it's a shame the '5, 6, 7, 8: The Collection' release doesn't contain the original versions of 'Human Touch' and 'Mars & Venus (We Fall In Love Again)'.

Yes, I assumed the originals were included. Hopefully they will be released on upcoming releases (if they happen).

There's also a bit of confusion with Tragedy (W.I.P. Reception Mix). Digipack releases of The Last Dance have it listed as "W.I.P. Mix" but clocking in at 6:58, but the jewel case versions have it listed as "W.I.P. Reception Mix" which clocks in at 6:26. There's also a promo 12" vinyl which has it listed as "W.I.P. Mix", again, clocking in at 6:58. So, I believe the official tagging is "W.I.P. Reception Mix" for the 6:58 version and "W.I.P. Mix" for the 6:26 version (the only difference is the longer version contains samples of 5, 6, 7, 8 and the shorter version doesn't).

Also, the version of You'll Be Sorry (The Pardon Mix) on The Collection has an error at the beginning - it's missing a few seconds from the intro. The Collection did have some rarities though:

W.I.P. Megamix - from the cancelled Baby Don't Dance CD single.
Words Are Not Enough (Single Version) - unique single version that only appeared on the original CD single. I had no idea this existed!
One For Sorrow (Tony Moran's Extended Club Mix) - first time on CD, the version on the Chain Reaction single was shortened.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 04 Jun 2016, 16:43

*Re-tags the Tragedy mixes* thanks Dom! :D

I didn't realise that about Words Are Not Enough either, ooh.
SpiceFan2008

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 04 Jun 2016, 20:41

Thanks for the info regarding the tracks. Will have to go back and listen to them now!
Dom

Postby Dom » 04 Jun 2016, 20:56

Well I've had Words Are Not Enough in my iTunes imported from Gold - a lot of the singles on The Collection are tagged as "Radio Edit" and that one appears to be a different mix. It's the same mix used for the video (again, I didn't notice the video used a different mix!). The differences are minimal, but noticeable.

I looked through discogs and none of the releases has it tagged as "Single Version" or "Radio Edit".
SpiceFan2008

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 04 Jun 2016, 22:46

I sometimes can't keep up with all the different mixes/remixes artists have.

The booklet included with Stomp All Night is great for that though. Very informative.

Hopefully if they release a rarities disc for the 20th anniversary, they'll include some forgotten gems. Also, release the rest of the tours on DVD!
Danceteacher84

Postby Danceteacher84 » 19 Aug 2016, 23:53

The remix album is great - their new sound is very remix & dance orientated. Heard some of the tracks (sung by session performers) the whole band have decided on the new sound they just can't decide on management :(
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 21 Aug 2016, 10:50

Are steps getting back together then??
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 21 Aug 2016, 21:15

Before I even let my hope get up even a little bit, I considered the fact that the user who posted that is brand new with one post, and posted no source information at all.

However, on the other hand, "danceteacher" COULD IT BE LISA IN DISGUISE? Probably not.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 28 Nov 2016, 20:30

Steps are reforming at G-A-Y on New Years Eve. Album and inevitably a tour to follow. First single has been chosen and they're signed to a record company again but I can't divulge which at the moment.
tommie

Postby tommie » 28 Nov 2016, 20:51

Jamie wrote:Steps are reforming at G-A-Y on New Years Eve. Album and inevitably a tour to follow. First single has been chosen and they're signed to a record company again but I can't divulge which at the moment.

Oh poop (see: Sugababes thread) :p
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 28 Nov 2016, 21:04

Oh I am so ready for another Steps reunion :inlove:

Will deffo be going to the new tour, hope they come to Leeds.
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 29 Nov 2016, 07:41

Oh yay hope a new album really does come to fruition! Love this band! :love: Hope if they tour it is filmed professionally again, would love another tour DVD

Return to “Music”