[ben]
Custom Title: dere n ara deg ata i

Re: Behaviour on the forums - The roots of DenDen

Postby [ben] » 02 Mar 2012, 00:51

Who's been getting bashed from which fans then? I'm oblivious to all this
highpriestofgeri

Postby highpriestofgeri » 02 Mar 2012, 01:30

I don't like to name names but Falcon has been cruel to me since I got here.
breezyspice
Mod
Custom Title: Breezy

Postby breezyspice » 02 Mar 2012, 03:22

How about we use this thread, time and page 2 to move on and leave it all be? Start fresh?

Eh? Sounds fun huh? Any takers?!
Lizzy
Custom Title: Rubber Duck

Postby Lizzy » 02 Mar 2012, 03:27

[ben] wrote:Who's been getting bashed from which fans then? I'm oblivious to all this

Meh it's been going on for a while, i believe esp. in the Sugababes forum, but i've noticed it around in the Melanie C forums and in the Victoria forums aswell. Kinda here and there and all over the place.

I'm scared that if you're going to tone it down too much this shit's gonna get booring!
NCLS

Postby NCLS » 02 Mar 2012, 03:56

Finally. The situation had made me not want to open the XTina thread any longer.
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 02 Mar 2012, 05:36

If this thread turns into another argument, I'm gonna start a petition to clean this place up.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 02 Mar 2012, 06:30

the Rihanna thread as well.
iBitch
Custom Title: Prude

Postby iBitch » 02 Mar 2012, 19:28

but which spice girl DOES have the hairiest fanny?

I vote mel c. :x

Think Different
Ian

Postby Ian » 02 Mar 2012, 23:26

The reason I stopped posting on DD was because how b!tchy it had started to become and even had one particular user (who is now deleted) target me directly for no real reason... Glad the mods are trying to turn things around.
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Postby wildhope » 03 Mar 2012, 17:09

Lizzy wrote:
[ben] wrote:Who's been getting bashed from which fans then? I'm oblivious to all this

Meh it's been going on for a while, i believe esp. in the Sugababes forum

THIS. I am glad that something is finally said as a whole. When a "warning" post was put in place in the Sugababes, the moderators were being flamed (something I cannot understand). Thank god this is applicable to the forum as a whole.
MonkeySils
Custom Title: Monkey business

Postby MonkeySils » 04 Mar 2012, 17:30

That's so true Den.
I just hope those spoilers will take a second to consider what you wrote...
inked_boy
Custom Title: XXX

Postby inked_boy » 04 Mar 2012, 21:52

Maybe I haven't seen the threads that people are talking about or maybe I take them with a grain of salt. But I've been thinking about it for a few days (every time I login and see this thread) and am wondering just exactly where the line is going to be drawn on this because it's a pretty grey area. Should I no longer have an objecting opinion to other members from now on because that will be seen as negative? I'm not a part of a forum to come on and drink the koolaid and sing a happy kumbaya with all the other members. I enjoy having debates and discussions and often times pointing out artists poorly performing music, movies, etc.

I enjoy Geri's music and also ran one of her biggest fan sites many years ago. However on a thread about her new music I might say "Her first single is horrible, she needs to turn this around or her record is going to tank big time." It's my opinion to have, and it's a negative one, but it appears from the "rules" stated her that I'm not allowed to have that opinion and should keep it to myself.

I guess I'm just a little lost on what hard factors are going to be used to make these decisions. I for one in the past have mis-stepped into a warning for some rule (that I still to this day find completely inane) and this just seems to throw another on on to the heap.
Mama Dee
Admin
Custom Title: Mother Denden

Postby Mama Dee » 04 Mar 2012, 22:18

^^^^your "inane" warning was for requesting copyrighted material.
we could get into a lot of trouble if that rule wasn't enforced. there are many other sites were you can get the forbidden materials so please don't risk Denden.
inked_boy

Postby inked_boy » 04 Mar 2012, 22:41

Mama Dee wrote:^^^^your "inane" warning was for requesting copyrighted material.
we could get into a lot of trouble if that rule wasn't enforced. there are many other sites were you can get the forbidden materials so please don't risk Denden.

I don't recall asking for copyrighted material. That is a rule that I understand and agree should be in place. Try again.

And not surprisingly, your time would have been better spent helping me understand this negativity rule that is now in place than going through some back logs to find out which rule I broke. That served no purpose.
Narrator
Custom Title: elephant in the room

Postby Narrator » 04 Mar 2012, 22:53

inked_boy wrote:I enjoy Geri's music and also ran one of her biggest fan sites many years ago. However on a thread about her new music I might say "Her first single is horrible, she needs to turn this around or her record is going to tank big time." It's my opinion to have, and it's a negative one, but it appears from the "rules" stated her that I'm not allowed to have that opinion and should keep it to myself.

I think your example is not the type of comment that this new rule is about at all. There is nothing wrong with a rational, critical discussion and you're perfectly entitled to have your own opinion and express it as you like. I'm a Geri fan myself and I wouldn't find what you wrote offensive at all. Crossing the line would be if you said something like "OMG, Geri's new single is complete shit and she's so talentless, she's gonna flop big time" and then proceeded to post variations of that in several threads, multiple times :p
Dennis
Admin
Custom Title: Daddy DenDen

Postby Dennis » 04 Mar 2012, 23:04

As I explicitly said, critical contributions to a discussion are perfectly fine, calling someone an attention seeking horse or prerelease call something a flop, it's unappreciated trashing. Nobody wants overpositive zombie posters, all we're asking is not to spoil it with unnecessary negativity. This is obviously very subjective, which is why this topic asks people to try to think twice whether or not their negative post is an actual contribution.
inked_boy

Postby inked_boy » 04 Mar 2012, 23:06

CharmAttack wrote:
inked_boy wrote:I enjoy Geri's music and also ran one of her biggest fan sites many years ago. However on a thread about her new music I might say "Her first single is horrible, she needs to turn this around or her record is going to tank big time." It's my opinion to have, and it's a negative one, but it appears from the "rules" stated her that I'm not allowed to have that opinion and should keep it to myself.

Crossing the line would be if you said something like "OMG, Geri's new single is complete shit and she's so talentless, she's gonna flop big time" and then proceeded to post variations of that in several threads, multiple times :p

But I feel like I can have that opinion as well, it's not that different than what I originally stated, which again makes this all a ridiculously fine line. However, posting it over and over in multiple threads I could see how that could be crossing the line. And that's something that can be evidenced. Deciding if someone's comments are too harsh is left up to the mods to decide based on many changing factors and their attitudes towards specific members who they may or may not like. It will also vary on what side of the bed the mods woke up on. Etc.
Lizzy
Custom Title: Rubber Duck

Postby Lizzy » 04 Mar 2012, 23:14

Dennis wrote:attention seeking horse

Lmao!

You attention seeking horse!!
Dennis
Admin
Custom Title: Daddy DenDen

Postby Dennis » 04 Mar 2012, 23:17

inked_boy wrote:
CharmAttack wrote:

Crossing the line would be if you said something like "OMG, Geri's new single is complete shit and she's so talentless, she's gonna flop big time" and then proceeded to post variations of that in several threads, multiple times :p

But I feel like I can have that opinion as well, it's not that different than what I originally stated, which again makes this all a ridiculously fine line. However, posting it over and over in multiple threads I could see how that could be crossing the line. And that's something that can be evidenced. Deciding if someone's comments are too harsh is left up to the mods to decide based on many changing factors and their attitudes towards specific members who they may or may not like. It will also vary on what side of the bed the mods woke up on. Etc.

That's why its a good thing the team consists of 9 people, we discuss these things and the individual factors are evened out. If 5 out of 9 people think a post crossed the line, chances are good it actually did.
Paul
Custom Title: Say No To The World

Postby Paul » 05 Mar 2012, 21:45

Its about time! Thank you.
[Onur]
Custom Title: aka. realspice

Postby [Onur] » 13 Mar 2012, 20:48

Thank you Dennis!
nbtsa

Postby nbtsa » 18 Mar 2012, 19:58

Nice one...
'I don't wanna be tough and I don't wanna be proud. I don't need to be fixed and I certainly don't need to be found. I'm not lost!''
Benji_V
Custom Title: Miss World

Postby Benji_V » 24 Mar 2012, 12:44

I've been attacked and called a "fucking idiot" on here before simply because I dared to post a view on Lady Gaga that others didn't agree with. If you ask me this place has slowly developed into a culture where non-stans are ridiculed & bullied. And if people justify it (rarely) it's by saying "you're on a fan board & you're being a hater" I think that is far worse. 

The point I'm trying to make is that telling people not to give their honest view is a form of censorship if you ask me. Why is it not considered constructive to add your honest view anymore? It might not match the uber-stans, but isn't that good? You really can't expect everyone to be sunshine & rainbows all the time. 

Take your example with Geri, I love her, I have for over a decade, but even I have a feeling she isn't going to do tremendously well with her future release. Instead of being encouraged to express this view now, I'm expected to just not post in the interest of not upsetting others? Where is the discussion then? It becomes less about us all coming together to talk about things with differing views  & more about how many people can post "oh yeah I totes agree, she's amazing" without being branded a "trouble-maker".

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude or start anything, but I'm just pointing out what I think is obvious. Not all views are going to be popular, but that doesn't mean they're not all valid. 

I don't like Gaga much at all so I'll obviously avoid her forum, that is asking for trouble in general. But there's often threads about her in Small Talk so I'll be inclined to add my view from time to time. This isn't to "wind people up", its honestly what I think. 

So if I don't post "Zomg she's so amazing!11" now, I'm not behaving in a way appropriate for the board? I honestly don't think this is the right way to deal with any problems the board has. I mean, Dennis, it's your board and it's up to you how things are run, but you know, I'm just saying. 

If I'm missing the point, please feel free to correct me, this is just how it's coming across.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 24 Mar 2012, 16:59

^ *agrees wholeheartedly*
Becca
Mod
Custom Title: My Name is Green

Postby Becca » 24 Mar 2012, 17:55

I don't believe that sharing an opinion once in a while is the problem - especially if it's expressed in honesty in order to promote discussion. The problem is the small group of individuals who perpetually stick their nose in with the intention of pissing people off.

Return to “Support & Suggestions”