How to check your avatar/sig images with DISCO...

Need help with the forums? Get it here!
Twister
Custom Title: Denden Techie

How to check your avatar/sig images with DISCO...

Postby Twister » 09 May 2010, 23:27

It seems barely a day goes by without someone asking if their avatar or sig image is the right size. Whilst there are any number of methods for checking the filesize and dimensions of an image once it's on your local drive, the main problem (particularly for Safari users) seems to be how to get that info for images online somewhere. Another problem is actually remembering what the limits are, or where to find them if you've forgotten. Hopefully, this is about to change with the arrival of DISCO!

No, I'm not suggesting a return to the 70's, the disco in question here is the Denden Image Size Check Online, a modified version of the script used by the modmins to automatically check everyones sigs and avatars. Unlike the modmin script, DISCO is designed to check a single image against the dimension and filesize limits for both avatars and sigs, and give you a clear answer to the question "does my sig look too big in this..."

---== 23 May Update: Java version available ==--------------------------------------

Whilst the original "run in a browser" version of DISCO works OK, it can be a bit of a pain to get running depending on which browser you're using and how secure your existing settings are. There is also the issue that it simply doesn't work on certain browsers, and there are no guarantees it will continue to work with any future versions of the browsers it does currently work with. So I've thrown together a Java version which runs as a standalone app on your desktop (provided you've got Java installed, of course) and should therefore be a lot easier to use. It's been tested with Windows XP and 7, and with Ubuntu Linux. Hopefully this means it'll work OK in other OS's - fingers crossed...

As usual, the first thing to do is download the DISCO Java archive and unzip it somewhere. You should now have a disco.jar file and a lib folder containing three more .jar files - if you move the disco.jar file please remember to also move the lib folder with it. Now just run disco.jar and, if your Java installation is working OK, you should see the DISCO Java application window open on your desktop.

To check an image, copy its URL into the clipboard and then left-click in the text box to the right of the Check button. This should automatically paste the URL into the text box - if not you'll have to use Ctrl+V or whatever your system shortcut is for pasting stuff.

Now click the Check button, wait for DISCO Java to load and process the selected image, and give you the results from the Luxembourg jury...

Note that DISCO Java will only wait 10 seconds for an image to download, so if the image server is a bit slow you may need to try checking the image again to get valid results - if DISCO Java was unable to read the image within 10 seconds, it will show the "Server not responding" error.

As with the original version of DISCO, the following important points apply to DISCO Java as well:

If you want to use multiple images in your sig, you will need to check each one individually and then add up the width/height and filesizes yourself. The modmin version does this automatically, and if enough people find DISCO to be useful then I'll see if I can include this ability in a future version of DISCO as well.

If your sig contains text as well as images, please remember that the image height needs to be reduced to keep the combined image+text height within the limits. The modmin script assumes each line of text is 10 pixels high, so your image height needs to be reduced by 10 pixels for each line of text above or below your image.

---== End of 23 May Update ==-----------------------------------

As with the modmin script, DISCO needs to be stored on your local drive, so the first thing to do is download the DISCO archive and unzip it somewhere on your local drive. Then open the disco.html file in a compatible browser. It works in the Windows versions of IE, Firefox and Safari, but does NOT work in Chrome. Feedback on other browsers/OS's would be welcomed!

The DISCO interface is clean and simple.

Paste the URL for the image you want to check into the Image URL box...

...and click the "Check my image!" button

Here, the image being checked is too large in width, height and filesize to be an avatar (note the red crosses alongside each of the avatar size limits), but falls inside all of the limits for a signature image. This is confirmed by the text below the results table.

PLEASE NOTE!

If you want to use multiple images in your sig, you will need to check each one individually and then add up the width/height and filesizes yourself. The modmin version does this automatically, and if enough people find DISCO to be useful then I'll see if I can include this ability in a future version of DISCO as well.

If your sig contains text as well as images, please remember that the image height needs to be reduced to keep the combined image+text height within the limits. The modmin script assumes each line of text is 10 pixels high, so your image height needs to be reduced by 10 pixels for each line of text above or below your image.

NOTES FOR IE AND FIREFOX USERS

Due to these browsers being a bit more paranoid about security than Safari, you'll need to tell their browsers that the script is safe to run. Trust me, it is ;)

IE will (unless you've already tweaked its security settings to make it less paranoid) first display a bar along the top of the site window

Click on this bar, then select "Allow blocked content" from the pop-up menu that appears

Finally click Yes to the requester which then appears

Firefox users have it a bit easier. Each time you click the "Check my image!" button, FF will display the following security warning

Clicking on Allow will let DISCO complete this check, but the warning will reappear the next time you check an image. You can however check the box next to "Remember this decision" to automatically allow each subsequent check.
Last edited by Twister on 23 May 2010, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
100% Melanie C @ chizzum.net
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Re: Sig & avatar image checking made easy...

Postby FiaSpice » 12 May 2010, 02:35

oh thanks a lot Twister that might make it easy on us.
Spice & Solo stuff for sale here
Katie Spice
Custom Title: FAME HOOKER

Postby Katie Spice » 12 May 2010, 07:01

Awesome! Now I'll just safe screencaps of the approval in case you try to take my privilege away from me when your machine said it was okay. :back: :p
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 12 May 2010, 16:04

Katie Spice wrote:Awesome! Now I'll just safe screencaps of the approval in case you try to take my privilege away from me when your machine said it was okay. :back: :p

It's the same scipt we use, of it's it's ok for you it ok for us too :)
apparently it has some differences... see Twister's reply.
Foxy
Custom Title: Mrs.CandyVonEfron

Postby Foxy » 12 May 2010, 18:46

Groovy!
Twister

Postby Twister » 12 May 2010, 22:20

FiaSpice wrote:It's the same scipt we use, of it's it's ok for you it ok for us too :)

Well, just to be completely accurate here, because I wouldn't want anyone losing their sig as a result of not realising the subtle differences between the two tools... as mentioned in my original post this version of DISCO DOES NOT calculate the total size of sigs built up from multiple images, or from a mixture of images and text, whereas the modmin checker does have this capability.

So whilst it's completely safe to rely on DISCO's answers if your sig is just a single image with no text around it, if you want to be a bit more adventurous when creating your sig then you'll need to do some of the checking work yourself. But since all the requests for help I've been seeing recently, and which gave me the incentive to release DISCO, have been from people wanting to check single images either for sigs or avatars (where multiple images or images+text isn't an issue) I think it's safe to say that DISCO is going to provide the answer most people are looking for.
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 13 May 2010, 01:29

Twister wrote:
FiaSpice wrote:It's the same scipt we use, of it's it's ok for you it ok for us too :)

Well, just to be completely accurate here, because I wouldn't want anyone losing their sig as a result of not realising the subtle differences between the two tools... as mentioned in my original post this version of DISCO DOES NOT calculate the total size of sigs built up from multiple images, or from a mixture of images and text, whereas the modmin checker does have this capability.

So whilst it's completely safe to rely on DISCO's answers if your sig is just a single image with no text around it, if you want to be a bit more adventurous when creating your sig then you'll need to do some of the checking work yourself. But since all the requests for help I've been seeing recently, and which gave me the incentive to release DISCO, have been from people wanting to check single images either for sigs or avatars (where multiple images or images+text isn't an issue) I think it's safe to say that DISCO is going to provide the answer most people are looking for.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up.
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 15 May 2010, 02:06

So..... do the mods do any work now? :p
Mama Dee
Admin
Custom Title: Mother Denden

Postby Mama Dee » 15 May 2010, 05:17

no. did we ever do any?
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 15 May 2010, 05:34

Mama Dee wrote:no. did we ever do any?

Well, I do have two signature warnings. Some one had to do that. :despise:
Flutey
Mod
Custom Title: DDs Headnurse

Postby Flutey » 16 May 2010, 13:29

Brandamn: you only have one!

08 Sep 2007 21:48 Entry added:
» Oversized signature removed (159Kb)

Not going to say who did that :satan:
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 16 May 2010, 20:14

Mama Dee wrote:no. did we ever do any?

Apparently not since I'm still here :devil:
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 17 May 2010, 16:54

Flutey wrote:Brandamn: you only have one!

08 Sep 2007 21:48 Entry added:
» Oversized signature removed (159Kb)

Not going to say who did that :satan:

Really? I could've sworn last time I checked I had 2. Maybe I'm confusing that with before it "reset".
Twister

Re: How to check your avatar/sig images with DISCO...

Postby Twister » 23 May 2010, 17:24

Just in case anyone missed the update to the first post, DISCO is now available as a standalone Java app, making it a LOT easier to install and run.
Chase
Custom Title: why not be happy...

Postby Chase » 28 Jun 2010, 11:57

There should be a site-wide return of everyone's lost signature and avatar rights to celebrate1
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 28 Jun 2010, 15:37

Chase wrote:There should be a site-wide return of everyone's lost signature and avatar rights to celebrate1

I don't think so...
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 28 Jun 2010, 18:51

Chase wrote:There should be a site-wide return of everyone's lost signature and avatar rights to celebrate1

LOL! I like your style!
Chase
Custom Title: why not be happy...

Postby Chase » 29 Jun 2010, 13:09

Seriously though! And it would be a good experiment to see if all the people who lost it before will care enough to check this time! ;)
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 29 Jun 2010, 17:20

Chase wrote:Seriously though! And it would be a good experiment to see if all the people who lost it before will care enough to check this time! ;)

We had a good discussion about it in the modmin forum and the final decision was we wouldn't bring sigs back for people who lost them.
breezyspice
Mod
Custom Title: Breezy

Postby breezyspice » 24 Oct 2011, 22:10

Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 24 Oct 2011, 22:12

I downloaded this tonight and it says my signature and avatar are perfectly in order. (: They'd better be! :p
Katie Spice
Custom Title: FAME HOOKER

Postby Katie Spice » 07 Sep 2012, 01:06

I re-downloaded it because I lost it, and it's not working. I'll unzip it, but the disco file keeps coming up as a zipped file.

Return to “Support & Suggestions”