BLU-RAY Player Tech Question

Need help with the forums? Get it here!
PeruvianSpice

BLU-RAY Player Tech Question

Postby PeruvianSpice » 05 Jan 2017, 02:00

Hi

Dunno if this is the right place to ask since there's no Tech fórum anymore but I was wondering if someone could help me with this. What does it mean:

(Talking about image quality)
"Artifacting and banding make a few fleeting appearances, but never get out of hand; faint ringing and minor smearing pop up here and there, but rarely interfere with the integrity of the image"

On another note,

I noticed when putting a disc on a player, the menu is kinda slow. Like going from option to option is really slow. But on another player it plays fine.

Also, in the "problem" Blu-ray player I see the image sometimes goes up and down but on another TV (and Blu-ray player) it's fine.

I'm kinda guessing it's the player but not sure and dunno what should I do
Masterpiece
Custom Title: Immune

Re: BLU-RAY Player Tech Question

Postby Masterpiece » 06 Jan 2017, 16:05

PeruvianSpice wrote:(Talking about image quality)
"Artifacting and banding make a few fleeting appearances, but never get out of hand; faint ringing and minor smearing pop up here and there, but rarely interfere with the integrity of the image"

Artifacts are distortions caused by video compression. The lower the video bandwidth, the more artifacts will be created. Like, when there's a lot of details in one area, but there isn't enough data rate to keep the details, one big distorted/blurred block is created over that area.

Ringing is like a ghost/halo around sharper edges, and/or when you have a hard transition between colors, like this.

Banding is when you don't have enough data to keep the color grading, like this (left side).

And check if you can update your blu-ray player firmware. It might be it, 'cos it's an evolving tech.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 06 Jan 2017, 19:53

thanks for the explanation...

my blu-ray player is 2 years old (aprox.) and it tells me its firmware it's updated...

when updating, those things get fixed? i've called LG to come and check it out

i also feel it lags when choosing an option on the menu and then choosing another one. like it needs more ime to "think" about its next action...

but that's in SOME discs (maybe discs with lots of info?)
Masterpiece
Custom Title: Immune

Postby Masterpiece » 07 Jan 2017, 07:55

PeruvianSpice wrote:thanks for the explanation...

my blu-ray player is 2 years old (aprox.) and it tells me its firmware it's updated...

when updating, those things get fixed? i've called LG to come and check it out

i also feel it lags when choosing an option on the menu and then choosing another one. like it needs more ime to "think" about its next action...

but that's in SOME discs (maybe discs with lots of info?)

Still seems like it's something with the BD player. Maybe it's low end (meaning low processing power)?

I only have PC blu-ray drives/players, so there's enough RAM and GPU power to run them whenever, I'm have ZERO experience with standalone players.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 17 Jan 2017, 21:57

I sent it to a LG tech Company so they can verify it.

They're taking quite long

Return to “Support & Suggestions”