I remember Keisha DM'ed me about the Suga drama...

Seven hours since you posted away, eleven coffees, Sugababes on play...
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Re: I remember Keisha DM'ed me about the Suga drama...

Postby wildhope » 08 Apr 2012, 21:27

Personally I cannot see Jade taking over Mutya's and Amelle's vocals in all the Sugababes' songs. Jade is a good replacement for Keisha and Sugababes need someone who can do powerful ad-libs and Jade is certainly one who can do that. Having two powerhouse singers in Sugababes will only make Heidi look redundant. It would have been nice if Mutya did come back then, at least it's back to 2.0 (which in my opinion is the best Sugababes lineup ever in terms of vocals). Jade and Amelle should have started/remained as solo singers.
mysterious
Custom Title: lets go eskimo

Postby mysterious » 08 Apr 2012, 21:36

^^having Mutya back would be the only really good idea, but I can see that Heidi would never want that - well, at least back then.

I'm glad we're getting the original line-up back, I think this is the most genuine line-up they can get, it's probably the one line-up people wouldn't dismiss.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 08 Apr 2012, 21:48

mysterious wrote:I'm glad we're getting the original line-up back, I think this is the most genuine line-up they can get, it's probably the one line-up people wouldn't dismiss.

I love Siobhan alot but the originals will never compare to 2.0

2.0 is the Sugababes the masses remember this is why I'm still not convinced the 1.0 reunion will be a big success. I hope it is but we shall see in good time.
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 08 Apr 2012, 22:30

schizophonic_spice wrote:
mysterious wrote:I'm glad we're getting the original line-up back, I think this is the most genuine line-up they can get, it's probably the one line-up people wouldn't dismiss.

I love Siobhan alot but the originals will never compare to 2.0

2.0 is the Sugababes the masses remember this is why I'm still not convinced the 1.0 reunion will be a big success. I hope it is but we shall see in good time.

I think it may be an initial success, but I'm not sure how much success they'll have in the long run. Good luck to them though! I do hope for them to sing a few 2.0 songs... I LOVE comparing versions..
mysterious

Postby mysterious » 08 Apr 2012, 22:53

seeing how the public has reacted to the "replacements" - and this label seems to have included Heidi, even though she may not be (sentimentally) considered one - I do think only the originals have a real chance with the public now.
wildhope

Postby wildhope » 09 Apr 2012, 06:34

Heidi has always been a replacement and always will. But the public is fickle-minded anyway, I am pretty sure if 2.0 is to come back at one point and if their music is good, they can still do it well. 1.0 has this interest since they are the originals and people who missed them the first time round are going to give them a try this time. But on whether they can achieve mainstream success or not, I will say it will have to depend on their material. They could work, but I believe it will be a different kind of sound and success altogether.
ohmarkayam

Postby ohmarkayam » 16 Apr 2012, 04:54

so, can we say, the split was because Mutya wanted to come back, keisha was ok with it and heidi was not and that led to the break up¿¿¿¿
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 16 Apr 2012, 10:40

I think it got to the point where their management had to make a band out of Keisha, Heidi, Mutya, Amelle and Jade. Sources have said that Mutya was contacted about coming back, and Jade also said that she flew out to America about a week before the dramz went down not knowing who she was going to replace. Once Amelle and Keisha refused to work together, I think if Keisha and Heidi agreed to work with Mutya again then Jade and Amelle would have been sent home empty handed and then 2.0 would have returned. Once Mutya refused, the management had 4 girls left and as you can see by looking at the body doubles in the About A Girl video, it looked as if they saw Amelle as too unpredictable or she was refusing to budge on the matter of Keisha and so 4.0 was going to be Keisha, Heidi and Jade.

There are probably two reasons now why 4.0 came to be. Keisha probably didn't want what was happening as she knew how another line-up change would make the band look, and so she could have refused to join the new band and got sent home with the promise of a solo deal and that the band was splitting up. Or it could have been that Keisha agreed to the new group reluctantly and then Heidi messed up their plans by refusing to work with Keisha anymore - so again K was sent home thinking the band was over. Then Amelle agreed to join again with Keisha out of the way (for whatever reason that may have been!) and so the management had found 3 girls to work together now once Heidi agreed again.

Just my theories though :D

The new line up was announced on the 23rd of September wasn't it? I wonder how long it took before all this to go down, basically I wonder when Amelle walked out for the first time.
tommie

Postby tommie » 16 Apr 2012, 14:47

ohmarkayam wrote:so, can we say, the split was because Mutya wanted to come back, keisha was ok with it and heidi was not and that led to the break up¿¿¿¿

No.

Mutya was approached by someone from their label about the possibility of re-joining - Mutya basically said no because she really didn't feel like walking in on World War 3; plus she and Crown (their management) didn't exactly part on good terms. I don't believe it was realistically on the table to bring her back, even if it was thrown around.

I would say that Keisha's downfall was the fact that she didn't want to bring in another member - she wanted either Amelle to get a grip or Mutya to return. Keisha's not dumb - she knew exactly how bad another line-up change would look. It's like CSweet7 said - Crown had to make a group out of Keisha, Amelle, Heidi and Jade and the three latter were willing to work with eachother while Keisha wasn't willing to work with Jade. Had she been we would've probably seen a Keisha, Heidi and Jade line-up today as I don't believe for a minute that Heidi actually walked - that was more than likely fabricated by Crown to try and get Keisha out of her contract.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 16 Apr 2012, 19:22

I probably would like 4.0 if it was Keisha, Heidi and Jade.
Dom

Postby Dom » 16 Apr 2012, 20:36

It would've been just as bad as Heidi / Amelle / Jade. Half the problem was Jade, she's just a beige artist. But it's always made "sense" that she replaced Keisha instead of Amelle, they would've clashed vocally.

Lol, can you imagine being Heidi and your band mates being Keisha and Jade? She would've never sang a note.
tommie

Postby tommie » 16 Apr 2012, 20:43

Well, if the line-up would've been Keisha, Jade and Heidi, maybe the 8th album called "Adlib Nightmares & Middle-8 Delusions" would've been released?
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 16 Apr 2012, 20:47

Jade wouldn't have suited the Mutya/Amelle role in the group, but she still doesn't suit the Keisha role either.
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 16 Apr 2012, 21:53

^ I think she does to some extent. They have a similar range, except Jade can't go as low as Keisha and Jade's voice is much more powerful overall. Jade would probably have been best to replace the Siobhan/Heidi slot if anything - Heidi became pretty useless when Jade joined as Jade just naturally eclipsed her vocal range.
Dom

Postby Dom » 16 Apr 2012, 22:20

Jade is a very technical singer, which is why I don't care for her much. Her vocal acrobatics aren't impressive cos half the time they sound screechy. And her voice is thin compared to Keisha's fuller voice.
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 16 Apr 2012, 22:28

^ Yeah Keisha's does sound a lot richer compared to Jade. But if I'm honest, I prefer Keisha to Jade but her ad-libs sometimes were just so screechy and annoying! Like at the end of Sunday Rain...I just want her to give it a rest :/
dbomb12

Postby dbomb12 » 17 Apr 2012, 11:01

I believe Keisha's voice suits the group and Jade's voice is not so much a voice that will blend in so she'll instantly take over the chorus of a song like AAG, parts of WMK and Freedom.

Keisha could blend in and not stand out same with Mutya, so Heidi could reside well with them, but with Amelle who is a loud singer and Jade who is a high singer Heidi's voice just gets drowned out like CSweet7 said.
tommie

Postby tommie » 17 Apr 2012, 20:15

Jade would be a perfect lead singer for Pussycat Dolls or something.

However, in a group that's based around vocal harmonies? Not so much.
dbomb12

Postby dbomb12 » 18 Apr 2012, 02:05

I think Jade would end up like Melody from PCD who has a very wide range (at times uncontrollable) but is limited to adlibs because her voice is not commercial enough IMHO, if you look at most groups the lead singer of the group isn't normally the best singer except maybe Destiny's Child it's about how commercial they sound.

So I think that's why Amelle was pushed to the front for Get Sexy as she has that commercial factor but then with 4.0 they tried to bring Jade to the front but it backfired because her voice is too high and at times whiny and that hasn't worked since The Surpremes and other 60's and 70's groups
wildhope

Postby wildhope » 18 Apr 2012, 16:19

I actually enjoy Jade's voice. At least she doesn't grate on me, while Keisha will at times. Mutya still have the best voice in Sugababes' history in my opinion.
dbomb12

Postby dbomb12 » 19 Apr 2012, 05:40

wildhope wrote:I actually enjoy Jade's voice. At least she doesn't grate on me, while Keisha will at times. Mutya still have the best voice in Sugababes' history in my opinion.

I enjoy Jade's voice too, when she's not wailing through the song like her version of Wait For You, she is the type of singer that feels like she has to over do it and hit all these high notes to prove herself and she doesn't have to because she is a good singer.

Keisha's vocals at times are annoying but however her voice blended in with the Sugababes and as much as I like Keisha I don't think I could listen to a whole album of just her if I'm honest.

And I ABSOLUTELY agree with the Mutya comment... Mutya singing Hole In The Head overshadows Amelle's attempt completely, and she always stood out in the live performances cause she had a great tone and voice, love her voice she reminds me of the Sugababes because she was featured on every single and album track up until she left of course.
Last edited by dbomb12 on 22 Apr 2012, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
mysterious

Postby mysterious » 21 Apr 2012, 23:03

I miss Mutya doing vocal harmonies, yes. Her voice was extremely important to make Keisha's and Heidi's blend well together. Mutya is not only a singer with a very real voice, she's also very technical too.
SDawg

Postby SDawg » 28 Apr 2012, 06:10

I actually believe just about everything Right_Direction said because well it all makes sense.

It was pretty apparent to everyone that Siobhan was the "lead singer" of the Sugababes in the beginning (all the singles besides RFC prominently features Siobhan) and I can see why this might have caused issues. The part with Keisha having a big problem with it jibes well with their personalities (Keisha is more bubbly and in your face, while Mutya is more shy, so I can't see it bothering her as much, she probably welcomed it), Siobhan's stories of bullying by Keisha, and even Mutya's funny story about Keisha's mic issues (probably an attempt to usurp Siobhan LOL). Also, it explains the whole us against her storyline that the Sugababes had at the time. To be honest, I can understand why Siobhan might have felt antagonized as she may not have been aware or understood the effects of the preferential treatment. She was only a child lol. And to be honest, I am sure that some things were probably done in a quite shady manner especially to Keisha by the adults in charge. Look at Overload. Keisha barely got to sing at the end. Also, in New Year, despite it being three of them, the song becomes ALL SIOBHAN by the end...yes she is harmonizing with herself in the second chorus all the way to end of the song with Mutya and Keisha singing "I'm older than my years bit"...I wouldn't be surprised if the producers cut Keisha's vocals in favor of Siobhan's (yes, it has been done before). Run for Cover was probably just a make-up song to make things more balanced, but even that song was written primarily by Siobhan. (Another possible explanation is maybe Keisha came late on the recording process...but we have seen with the other girls it is still possible to make this balanced.)

The 2.0 audition process is exactly how Mutya and Keisha explained it. Siobhan released her debut album with London which backs the whole "belief in Siobhan over the other girls (who were dropped)".

The story about Mutya leaving seems to be very true as I remember them saying they had known about "The New Girl" for a while. Also apparently the contract issues probably hadn't been resolved yet because Mutya remained with both Crown and London. Mutya's issues with Crown could very well explain the misdirection that her debut album took after having two hits then all of a sudden crashing and promotion becoming non existent.

Then the great 4.0 debacle. I really believe this story for a few reasons. Originally, it was reported that Amelle left. I think the proposition was either Mutya or Jade. Keisha would have obviously wanted Mutya to comeback. However, for clear reasons, management and Heidi would have said no. I think this was the basis of the whole disagreement. It did appear however that the plan was to go with Keisha, Jade, and Heidi. This can be seen in the "About A Girl" video, which I think was filmed prior to the final resolution of members. I also believe this was the plan because of the way Crown had replaced Mutya. They basically put someone in as close to Mutya (both look and voice wise) to fit the group. They knew that part of the Sugababes brand was the United Colors of Benetton look. Jade and Amelle are far more similar in look. However, Keisha's disagreement with having Jade in the group is probably what got her the boot and I believe she was sent back to London thinking the group was over.

This story actually sounds very familiar to another girl group replacement (Destiny's Child) where LeToya and LaTavia were replaced by two look alikes (Michelle and Farrah). Even Beyonce's father said that if they got two girls that looked like them, no one would notice as long as Kelly and Beyonce were still the focal point and he was right. I don't really think at the time the vocals of the girls was heavily paid attention to. Just as long as they could sing. I think Crown was going the same route with Jade but ended up replacing Keisha. Similarly, LeToya and LaTavia didn't know they were booted from the group until they saw the Say My Name video on TV. I think Keisha's dismissal was similar but instead she was led to believe the group was finished. And with Crown exhibiting such control over the girls at the time, and receiving pressure from the label to "get it right", they weren't going to put up with Keisha's complaints about Jade and probably found this the "best" way to deal with the issue.

I know this is all speculation but this story tied to the news stories and interviews seems to make the most sense.

Return to “Sugababes & Solo”