My sister's cancerstory

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Re: My sister's cancerstory

Postby Thom » 21 Oct 2015, 10:01

Today my sister features in a big Belgian magazine!

Ann (30): 'Two years ago I was diagnosed with skin cancer with metastases in the stomach, pancreas, liver and ovaries. I don’t remember much from that period. My world collapsed. Nyo was barely three, being sick was not an option. Stepping in a medical trail was my only option. A curative treatment for this type of cancer does not yet exist. I was in a bad condition, but fortunately that trail worked very well. That made me think about what I wanted to pass on to my son in the short life that I maybe had. He had to know that you must be happy yourself first before you can make someone else happy. I was unhappy for too long. Partners who love each other hugg, kiss, sleep in the same bed ... That was not the case with my ex and me. I didn’t want Nyo to consider this normal. Because of my illness, I dared to break the relationship with his dad. I would rather die alone than with someone next to me who does not love me, at least not like a love partner. I am incredibly happy that I dared to take that step. That decision did us both good. "
"That I will die from this cancer is almost certain. On an average this study works for eleven months. I am now in my 28th month. Still I am happier than ever. That may sound strange, but it's true. I have found peace. Not long after my diagnosis I thought of all the great things I “had” to do: bungee jumping, long-distance travel ... But I've learned that those things do not make you happy. It's in the little things in life every day. A day alone at home, spend quality time with Nyo, get up early and have a cup of coffee in the sun, to drive the market to make vegetables soup, crawling in bed with freshly washed sheets, spend time with my family ... I have accepted my illness, but that does not mean I think it is righteous. In life you should have a set of exchange cards. Some choose to die, I would love to live but can not. I try not too much thinking about it and live from day to day. It is going well with me and I hope it stays that way for many years so I can see Nyo grow up to be a decent man. Leaving him behind is my biggest fear. I'm afraid he will forget me. That's why I'm working on a memory box in which there are my school reports, my favorite children's book, my favorite movie ... store. There are also letters for birthdays, for the first time that his heart is broken, for the day he wants a motorcycle ... Yeah, it's tough, but I try to keep it light. I do not want him later looks up against yet another heavy letter on his birthday, but that he reminds me how I really am. So I always make sure it’s with a wink. I have given the time to do this, I consider it a gift. I can ensure that there are no things that I had wanted to do or I still want to say. "
"Now my illness seems under control for the time being, I very carefully dare to make plans again. But the problem of my disease remains. I always know when someone is teaching the dilemma: must I immediately be honest if I meet someone or will if not mention it for a while? Not long ago I had a great click with someone. I've played frank, thought he was different, but then came the text. He could not dare to start something with a cancer patient. I felt like a sick cow which was expelled from the flock. Of course I understand him, but it also did an incredible amount of pain. Pure love exists, I know, and I do not want to die without having felt that. I am a “believer”. Everything will be fine. Even if I die. for my family it will be an immense grief, but time will go by. That means that my time had come. I can say that I really have had a great life, that helps. "
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk
Margaret

Postby Margaret » 21 Oct 2015, 18:35

Beautiful Thom, your sister sounds like such a strong woman. Such an inspiration.
Thom
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 21 Oct 2015, 22:26

Thank you margaret. She is a trooper!

The picture with the interview:
https://www.facebook.com/25248370146266 ... =3&theater

Thom
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 23 Oct 2015, 14:58

scans today showed all is still stable!!
wonderfull news in an already joyful week

Madrigal
Custom Title: Sheerio

Postby Madrigal » 27 Oct 2015, 02:49

YESSSS!!! So happy for her (and you guys, as always!)!!!
Thom
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 22 Dec 2016, 16:08

out of the blue i got a pm asking how my sister was.

Well, still doing great! Still full remission on the braf/mek inhibitors dabrafenib+trametinib.
Month 46 now i believe (of an estimated 11,5 months!)

_rEaSoN_

Postby _rEaSoN_ » 22 Dec 2016, 16:45

great! :)
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 23 Dec 2016, 05:05

amazing!
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 23 Dec 2016, 06:58

That's fantastic, Thom!
Thom
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 23 Dec 2016, 14:01

Thanks you guys!

started this year the first Belgian patientorganisation for melanoma patients: [url]melanoompunt.be[/url]
And involved in the European network of melanoma patients

herman22j

Postby herman22j » 24 Dec 2016, 16:19

Keep taking care of your body! Use chlorella/spirulina to cleanse/detox your body. A strong body can overcome anything! Power up guys! Power up!
NUFF SAID
Thom
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 12 Jun 2017, 22:06

my sister had a PET/CT scan

almost 4 years of FULL REMISSION for stage 4 melanoma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 18 Jun 2017, 09:12

So glad for her!

Return to “Small Talk”